User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Sylvester Nemes

SofthackleFebruary 8th, 2011, 1:13 pm
Site Editor
Wellsville, NY

Hi all,
I have just recently heard of the passing of Sylvester Nemes. Mr. Nemes was, pretty much, responsible for reintroducing the soft-hackle fly to the world of fly fishing, at least, here in the US. His wonderful books on tying and fishing these flies leave a great legacy to all who love to fly fish. He will be greatly missed.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
OldredbarnFebruary 9th, 2011, 8:50 am
Novi, MI

Sorry to hear that Mark!

He tied some pretty flies and I love his somewhat over looked book "Spinners"...I have a signed copy with one of his actual flies attached to the title page of the book.

Another champion of the "old-school" gone! I'm glad he was one that, at least, got some of it down in print form.

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
SayfuNovember 17th, 2011, 4:00 pm
I sent Sylvester out to a riffle run of even current where I thought his soft hackles would work well. They had worked well for me on this run. After a Sat. session at the vice during our big show, Sylvester had time to fish for a short interval. I wanted to take him, but didn't press it. He had a fishing partner to drive him. Shortly after the show some 5-6 years ago, Sylvester was taken ill, and I think until this announcement.
CrenoNovember 17th, 2011, 7:56 pm
Grants Pass, OR

Syl's passing wasn't all that recent -
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/bozemandailychronicle/obituary.aspx?n=sylvester-nemes&pid=148522549

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.