User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Respite for me (and you)

GONZOJuly 27th, 2007, 12:10 pm
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

Hello to all my Troutnut pals,

I just wanted to let you know that I will be taking an extended break from posting. (This may be a blessed relief--at least it will allow others to get a word in edgewise.) :) A much needed and long anticipated change in my situation (involving a potential new job and relocation) requires me to focus my attention elsewhere for the time being. I was going to wait until things were certain to take this break, but given the extremely addictive nature of participating on this amazing site, I didn't want to run the risk of my very enjoyable virtual life distracting from my real one at such a time.

That distraction has been wonderful, and the opportunity to chat with all of you has provided a regular and rejuvenating escape from the worries and frustrations that, I'm sure, beset us all at times. In that way, it has been much like fly fishing and has offered a welcome substitute when I could not be astream.

Any attempt to try to thank the many fine folks I've met through this site would make this post intolerably lengthy. I cannot take this break, however, without thanking our host, Jason. Most of you don't know this, but the only reason I took the scary step to post here was that I had read the generous praise for my book that he had posted on this site and elsewhere. I told him when I registered that I thought I had found a "kindred spirit." Upon joining, I also discovered that my very first Amazon reviewer was posting here in the guise of "Martinlf" (Louis). So, I have indeed found kindred spirits--perhaps more than a thousand of them!

Breaking this addiction, even for a while, will be hard. So, I won't go completely cold turkey. I'll try to monitor private messages from time to time over the next few weeks. (Just in case someone wants to get in one more barb or bon mot.) :)

I can think of no better way to close than to share the closing lines from the first chapter of my book:
The difficulties facing trout and trout anglers may increase with time, but they are not new. Each generation of fly fishers must confront the pressures of their time and devise new ways to master their situation while retaining the delights that have always attended our sport. When we face these pressures squarely and defeat them on our own terms, the rewards are as sweet now as they were then. And the communion we feel with our fellow anglers at such times is as ancient and timeless as the lovely fish we seek.

My very best to all of you (and, as Ahnold says, "I'll be back!"),
Lloyd (GONZO)
TroutnutJuly 27th, 2007, 1:09 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Be sure not to go cold turkey! It's easy even while very busy to pop in a few times a week (or a few times a day) and see what's going on. That's what I'm doing now that I've started grad school.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
FalsiflyJuly 27th, 2007, 1:39 pm
Hayward, WI.

Gonzo,
Rest assured that you will be dearly missed by me and all.
I hope your extended break does not become over extended.
I wish you the best of luck.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
Shawnny3July 27th, 2007, 1:58 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

Take care, Gonzo. All the best in your pursuits, and be back soon.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
TaxonJuly 27th, 2007, 2:16 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Gonzo-

I have enjoyed and learned much from your posts. Hopefully, they will continue, even if not as frequent until you are re-settled. This forum would not be the same without your unique brand of generous, humorous, and knowledgeable contribution.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
MartinlfJuly 27th, 2007, 2:21 pm
Palmyra PA

Drat, now I'll have to find someone else to pick on. Hey Gonzo, we will all miss you.

"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
WiflyfisherJuly 27th, 2007, 4:22 pm
Wisconsin

Gonzo,

Don't let the job pressures get in the way of you fishing your "pressured waters".

And the communion we feel with our fellow anglers at such times is as ancient and timeless as the lovely fish we seek.

We hold on-line fellow communion services on TroutNut.com every Sunday night, no excuses allowed!

Best wishes!
John S.
https://WiFlyFisher.com
CaseyPJuly 27th, 2007, 8:14 pm
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

Gonzo, thanks for passing on the courage to post on this apparently rather august forum (until you get to know it!) to have beginner's questions taken seriously is rare, and it has been a real help. go safe!
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
Shawnny3August 1st, 2007, 3:37 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

Anybody else miss Gonzo already?

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
SofthackleAugust 1st, 2007, 6:58 pm
Site Editor
Wellsville, NY

Lloyd,
Hoping you'll be back, soon. Don't stay away too long.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.