Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > First Day in Korea

FisherOfMen has attached these 3 pictures to this report. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (4X larger)

Report at a Glance

General RegionSouth Korea
Specific Location???
Time of Day5:00-6:00pm

Details and Discussion

FisherOfMenMarch 14th, 2014, 7:35 am
NY

I finally got out on the creek here in South Korea

I was using my new 3wt and a size 16-18 white/yellow mayfly dry, I don't know the exact pattern

Caught plenty of these little guys, and missed 2 of their bigger relatives (6-8in)

When I get to a larger river hopefully I will start hitting trout! Anyway this is good casting practice.. You lose a lot of casting skill in 2 years off :/
"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught." -Author Unknown

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke
WbranchMarch 14th, 2014, 8:15 am
York & Starlight PA

The fly looks like what some might call a Pale Watery Dun or a Pale Morning Dun tied fully hackled.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
OldredbarnMarch 17th, 2014, 1:05 pm
Novi, MI

Nick,

Have you explained to us why you are in Korea?

You and Paul are probably our furthest posters here next to Jason up in Alaska.

Keep us posted.

Spence

I second Mack's statement concerning our winter this year...That first trout tugging on the line will be nice...
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
FisherOfMenMarch 18th, 2014, 11:12 am
NY

Spence,

I'm in Korea because I pulled orders for korea lol. I'm a soldier stationed along the DMZ in camp Casey, Dongsucheon! :)

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke
OldredbarnMarch 18th, 2014, 1:12 pm
Novi, MI

Well Nick, you know we wish you the best, and promise not to hassle your home water fish too much for when you visit home again.

If you see Dennis Rodman over there anywhere, feel free to smack him up side his goofy head, you can tell him its from Spence back in Detroit...He's making his old "Bad Boys" teammates look bad and his behavior's unbecoming.

Spence

Back in the 80's when I was driving truck for the Free Press and working my way through Wayne State downtown, we played pickup basketball on Sunday mornings at 1300 Beaubien at the PAL gym attached there (Police Atheletic League)...We would show up around 5-6:00am and were still on the clock :)...There were so many yellow Freep trucks parked outside with some of us sucking in that OT.

1300 Beaubien is infamous...The main headquarters for the Detroit Police Department. Not a place you would really want to have to hang out at as Saturday night in Detroit blended into Sunday morning. We arrived with bundles of Sunday papers and comics and they gave us the key to the gym.

The Pistons were in high gear then, and were known as the Bad Boys. They played basketball like they were hockey players...I played basketball like a clutzy hockeyplayer and led with my Gordie Howe elbows...It wasn't pretty. My buddies called me Spencer "Mahorn"...:)

So...Nick...I'm officially passing on some of my "cred" to allow you to box his ears...If the chance presents itself.
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
MartinlfMarch 18th, 2014, 11:43 pm
Palmyra PA

Cool orange eye spot on those guys. Glad you're getting in some practice. Best of luck finding the trout--be sure to post pics.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Jmd123March 19th, 2014, 6:47 pm
Oscoda, MI

Nick, my sister met my brother-in-law when both were in the Army in Korea. She was CPT in Military Intelligence (I know the old saying...), and he was CPT (Promotable) in Armored Cavalry (no, we're not talking horses, more like M1 Abrams). They have been together ever since, and they have plenty of stories to tell about Korea...like the sneakers my bro-in-law bought that turned out to be made with water soluble glue, which he discovered much to his distress during a rain storm...

I hear there are some interesting salmonids in your part of the world, at least according to James Prosek's Trout of the World. Best of luck finding them, and of course if you do, we want to see them on here!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
JasonpJuly 12th, 2014, 7:46 am
Posts: 2Nick! I just arrived here on casey. My rods are on their in USB should be here in couple of weeks. I have been trying to figure out the rules for fishing korea. Any insight?
JasonpJuly 12th, 2014, 7:48 am
Posts: 2Also, what are those little guys? I see them from the Hovey bridges. Shad, MN whitefish? Chubs?
FisherOfMenJuly 20th, 2014, 7:21 am
NY

Hi Jason!! I've been spotting some tiny cherry trout from the looks of it in there actually... I THINK??? They have reddish fins and are vastly different from the other ones I've seen.

Hey I'm in the barracks right by Hovey Library/Ed Center/PX, 3826. Shoot me a text @ 010-4492-0202!

And sadly I haven't been fishing for a couple months :/ work, college, and getting married are all eating up my fishing time.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.