Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Back on the Fly!

FisherOfMenFebruary 10th, 2014, 8:59 am
NY

It's been about 2 years since I've had the opportunity to fly fish and get on troutnut.com. In that time I've been stationed in South Korea and I've also gotten engaged to a Korean girl I met here!

Now the time has finally come to start up my fly fishing hobby again this spring... And today I ordered a cheap 3wt to start myself on some of the small Korean streams and rivers here.

I would like to send a shoutout to Wbranch (Matt Hanist)~this guy sent me a huge and generous assortment of fly tying supplies and equipment which got me started on tying 2 years ago.. And my dad is using the same equipment back in the states as I'm writing this, spinning out his first few flies! It's guys like Mr. Hanist that keep this sport continuing through the generations.. And I'm starting to fall in love with fly fishing once again!

So, thanks again Mr. Hanist! :-)
"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught." -Author Unknown

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke
WbranchFebruary 10th, 2014, 7:04 pm
York & Starlight PA

Hi Nick,

Congratulations on your engagement. Have you set a date for the wedding? Will it be in Korea or the USA? I've seen pictures of you and your lady on your Facebook page.

Are there a species of Trout in those little streams? I'm glad you and your Dad have been able to tie some flies with the materials I sent to you.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
FisherOfMenFebruary 11th, 2014, 5:57 am
NY

We will have a small ceremony in both countries! It's going to be crazy... Haha~ as far as the date, that depends on the army but hopefully in August or sooner.

There are cherry trout, Manchurian trout, and lenok - as far as I've read so far.
This is a Korean cherry trout

At first I will just be hitting the small rivers around my post trying to figure out what is here... There's a good chance there's only carp for 30 miles :/

But that's just an excuse to get a nice 8wt ;)
-also... I don't have time to tie between work and college-where is the cheapest bet for flies? I've seen some pretty tempting deals on eBay but I'm wondering if anyone has experience with a great deal hidden somewhere!
Thanks! ~Nick

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke
Jmd123February 12th, 2014, 1:56 pm
Oscoda, MI

Hey Nick, those are some pretty looking trout you have there! Looks like perfect quarry for the 3-weight, in some pretty little waters I imagine too. Good luck chasing them and send us lots of pics when you do!

My sister spent a year in Korea as an Army Captain in Military Intelligence. She met her husband there, who was also a CPT at the time, this was 1990 and they have been together ever since! They have many interesting stories, I bet you now have plenty of your own and will continue to make new ones (fly fishing we hope!). What's your branch of service, etc.? I did three years in the US Army Reserve myself (Infantry) - though not in Korea!

Also - other gamefish in your area? Bigger carp, species we don't know about over here? Hatches? Keep us informed...tight lines!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
GusFebruary 12th, 2014, 3:50 pm
colorado

That's awesome, congratulations!
"How do you help that son of a bitch?"

"By taking him fishing"

-A River Runs Through It

www.jsrods.com
FisherOfMenFebruary 16th, 2014, 7:09 am
NY

Jonathan~ I'm definitely looking forward to having some of those frisky little guys on my 3wt - especially bc I've never handled anything smaller than a 5wt before it should be especially exciting.

There are DEFINITELY carp here, I've played with some that were around 30lbs I imagine in a no-fishing zone river right in the middle of uijeongbu city! Then of course the fiancé wouldn't let me hold her hand haha bc I was "petting" the friendly old beasts lol!

When my taxes get back I'm hoping to purchase a carp setup... Anyone have advice on the best wt for small-mid size carp? And I hear mulberry imitation flies work well but have yet to have the pleasure of attempting to hook one of the giants...

Keep good 'ol America warm for me lads :p haha can't wait to fish those rivers I grew up around once again!

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.