Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Scouting

FisherOfMen has attached these 7 pictures to this report. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (4X larger)

Report at a Glance

General RegionSouth Korea
Specific Location"Shit Creek"

Details and Discussion

FisherOfMenFebruary 27th, 2014, 3:55 am
NY

I had a few minutes after class to look around "Shit Creek" as it's called here, the stream/drainage area running through Camp Casey, South Korea.

I found a few dead fish thanks to the ravaging ducks I saw attacking these little buggers! Also a water boatman (I think) and a small mayfly nymph.

Any ID on this fish? It looks like the smelt we used to have in the streams in the Adirondacks in NY. Also - will trout eat those giant water boatmen I found? There's a slew of them in this stream and some much larger than the one I photographed.

Last year I saw some larger fish (10-16 in) but I'm not sure the species, so hopefully I will be able to locate some of those larger fish this season.
"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught." -Author Unknown

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke
FlyfishasiaJanuary 29th, 2016, 2:00 pm
Seoul, South Korea

Fisher Of Men - The fish you found is a Korean pale chub.
They are common in mountain streams in Korea and fight like wet toddlers socks.It looks like a good population still lives in that canal on your base.

I added a link at the bottom of the page to FISH BASE. It has good info on a lot of the species in this region. Its an old site but a good resource.
Lots of fun with nothing else is biting. They are a member of the Cyprinids or carp family. I imagine there are a variety or carp species living in that canal in your photo. Maybe some much larger species as you saw earlier.

The water-boatman was swimming around or crawling on the bottom? It looks to me like a big dragonfly nymph. I could be wrong on that, but I'll call dragonfly on that guy.

The smaller bug is a mayfly. Good ID by the long tail coming out. If you have duty or access to fishing inside the CCL I would certainly take advantage of your privilege to go in and out there. Pressure and over-harvesting, no licensing and poorly enforced regs have a harmful effect on Korea's fisheries.

Be mindful of the constant danger of rogue boxes that get dislodged after heavy rain or tilled fields. I'm sure you've been briefed on that on know what to look for.

Good luck on your scouting

Matt Awalt

http://www.fishbase.org/summary/Zacco-platypus.html
- Matt A.
VprinceiiFebruary 13th, 2016, 4:17 pm
Providence, RI.

I recently found a river in western Massachusetts. I am eager to try fishing net location. I took pictures, but the pictures I have don't show the fish I saw there. My question is. Is it normal for fish to swim close to the bank in cold weather?
VJPrincipe

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.