Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Today's exam

KroilFebruary 27th, 2008, 5:04 pm
Coastal NJ

Guess these two bugs and the beverage brand and I will buy the winner a cold one on the banks of the lower East branch in May...
Here are your clues:

When I found the skull in the woods, the first thing I did was call the police. But then I got curious about it. I picked it up, and started wondering who this person was, and why he had deer horns. - Jack Handey

TroutnutFebruary 27th, 2008, 5:26 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

That's kind of an easy one. :) But I'm in Alaska where I couldn't cash in on that cold one, so I'll let someone else answer.

Incidentally, I did catch a pretty 19-inch brown on the lower East Branch on a dry during that hatch last May.

Now if you want to really challenge people you can ask what that little dark-bodied bug is in the far upper right corner of that top picture.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
MartinlfFebruary 27th, 2008, 5:49 pm
Palmyra PA

Looks like Hennies and Buds to me. The little bug may be a midge. I need my flip focals.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
KroilFebruary 27th, 2008, 6:16 pm
Coastal NJ

It is a very satisfying feeling to finally be surrounded by a few that actually walk the talk.

Troutnut, if you are here this spring let me know, I would like to buy you one anyway.
Martin, I am there ten weekends in the spring, and some weekdays, until the water temps tank. It would be my pleasure to sip one with you too. I have some great private accesses and would be happy to show you a few.
When I found the skull in the woods, the first thing I did was call the police. But then I got curious about it. I picked it up, and started wondering who this person was, and why he had deer horns. - Jack Handey

KroilFebruary 27th, 2008, 6:23 pm
Coastal NJ

PS
You both missed the other bug.

Look a little closer.

TroutnutFebruary 27th, 2008, 8:41 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

It does depend on which way you look at it, but I think the one in the top right of the top pic looks like a mayfly dun, probably some sort of Baetid since it looks a little small for Paraleptophlebia at that time of year.

On closer inspection, the bottom mayfly on the beer can is probably Epeorus pleuralis. Clever how you hid him in plain sight. ;)

There are some more of the small mayflies on the water in the lower pictures, too.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
KroilFebruary 28th, 2008, 4:26 am
Coastal NJ

Correct Grasshopper. It amazes me at times how the simplest things can be right under your nose and go unnoticed. It was random luck that quill fly landed on the can but it made for a good picture. And yes, I did pack my cans out as always.

MartinlfFebruary 28th, 2008, 3:21 pm
Palmyra PA

OK, Kroil, no fair slipping a Gordon in with the Hennies and Buds. As for that little guy, we're talking about the one on the water, right? Upper right corner? OK, I'll bite; what is it? PM me if you want to keep the extra credit portion of the exam active.

As for fishing the East Branch I'd be very happy to join you if we can coordinate a time. I've only fished it twice, but caught my first Delaware brown there. I'll never forget that day!

--Fred Chappell
KroilFebruary 28th, 2008, 3:25 pm
Coastal NJ

Upper right corner?
Insectimus smallimus.

MartinlfFebruary 28th, 2008, 5:57 pm
Palmyra PA

I thought so. But haven't they been reclassified as tinimus midgimatus?

--Fred Chappell
KinzuaFebruary 28th, 2008, 6:52 pm
W. PA

The second photo looks like Hendrickson stew.

DucfatMarch 7th, 2008, 7:02 pm
Posts: 10The beer is bugweiser. The bugs are stoned flies!
KroilMarch 8th, 2008, 5:11 am
Coastal NJ

Thats funny Ducfat. I'm gonna use that one in another post. Thanks.

DucfatMarch 8th, 2008, 6:24 pm

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.