or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Another Warm-Water Report

Report at a Glance

General RegionMissouri Ozark Foothill region
Specific Locationa pond
Time of Day5 P.M. to dark
Fish Caughtbass, bluegill, green sunfish, and redear sunfish
Conditions & HatchesOff color water, about 2 feet of visibility. Air temp lower 70s dropping into the mid-60s right before dark.
Didn't take water temp but it is probably a bit over 60 degrees, give or take

Details and Discussion

MotroutApril 30th, 2011, 1:06 am
Well, here's another warm-water report. Pretty soon I'll no longer be considered a trout nut I guess if I keep posting these reports, but whatever:)
After heavy and prolonged rains, all the trout creeks are blown out, even the little spring creeks that I can usually count on in times of high water, and even the warm-water pond near my home just became fly-fishable yesterday-and it doesn't muddy easy and clears quickly. Anyway, I got out tonight because I thought the clarity was definitely good enough to take some fish on small woollies and other subsurface stuff, and I thought with luck I could maybe take some on top too. I started off at five o'clock, with a #12 Olive Woolly tied on, and I almost immediately got into some nice redear sunfish that are so easy to fool this time of year. They grow up to 9" in this pond and put up a fight that at least equals that of the average stocking size trout. I also caught a few small largemouth bass, as well as plenty of bluegill and green sunfish, which are both plentiful and stunted in this pond. Then about 7 P.M. I started to see some surface activity and switched over to a Dave's Hopper (which shouldn't work in April but panfish don't know that). I was able to land some pretty decent bluegill and green sunfish on that, although the bass and the redear didn't show any interest at all.

In all, the fishing wasn't too special, so I spent a lot of time looking around. Spring is already passing in the part of Missouri where I reside. The trees are fully leafed out, the early spring flowers are come and gone, and things are starting to look a lot like summer again. But the evening air still had the chill of a spring day, and the dogwoods that were reflected in the still surface of the pond were still in full bloom. Soon it will be time for the hot weather, and the dawn and dusk fishing associated with that, but not yet. For now, spring still hangs on, and I'm not in any hurry for my favorite time of the year to pass by.
"I don't know what fly fishing teaches us, but I think it's something we need to know."-John Gierach
http://fishingintheozarks.blogspot.com/
TroutnutApril 30th, 2011, 2:30 am
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Thanks for the report!

If you miss spring, just come up to Alaska... we're still waiting for it to start! It lasts a good 48 hours and, then, summer!
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.