User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Five days of warmwater flyfishing in southeastern Michigan - from Jonathon

Report at a Glance

General RegionOakland County, Michigan
Specific LocationHuron River, unnamed private lake, and Cooley Lake
Time of DayAfternoon and evening
Fish CaughtLargemouth & smallmouth bass, rock bass, bluegill, pumpkinseed, yellow perch
Conditions & HatchesSome white and brown caddisflies in the evening on the Huron River, size 12-14; otherwise, all fishing done with streamers & woolly buggers; Cabelas Three Forks rod, 4-piece 8.5' 5-wt; old Orvis Battenkill reel with Cortland 555 clear floating fly line; around 9 feet of leader with 3x tippet.

Details and Discussion

Jmd123July 22nd, 2009, 7:48 pm
Oscoda, MI

Fished the Huron River - Island Park stretch, Ann Arbor - for about 2 hours on Thursday evening; caught 8 smallmouth, ranging from 4" to 13", the largest on a white #14 elk hair caddis, all others on a chartreuse/grizzly woolly bugger, size 10 (DEADLY fly in almost all warmwaters for me). Friday fished a small private lake in Mt. Clemens (McComb Co.), caught a 16" largemouth on woolly bugger described above (a friend has a picture I will eventually upload) and two bluegill in the 7-8" range on a #12 chartreuse & black firefly (only got to fish for about half an hour - I WILL be going back!!!). Saturday through Moinday, fished off friends' dock on Cooley Lake (White Lake Twp.). Caught loads of rock bass up to 10" long, plus a 14" largemouth (have taken largemouth up to 16" there!), several bluegill & pumpkinseed (caught 9-inchers back in May there), and a small yellow perch. Mostly used the woolly bugger described above, but on Monday switched to a #10 Killer Bass Fly (my own original pattern!) in the original grey & silver.

I am STILL working on getting some trout, however the nearest local "trout stream" - Paint Creek in Rochester Hills - seems to hold far more creek chubs and suckers (last time I saw a CARP in there!!) than trout. I'm not sure weather to consider it a trout stream with a large chub population, or a CHUB stream with a very small trout population...I need to get "UP NORTH"!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.