Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Best Beginner fly tying kit???

UPTroutBumOctober 28th, 2008, 6:57 am
Marquette, MI

I've been fly fishing about a year and said I never wanted to tie flies, but winter is approaching and I want to tie up some of my favorite patterns for next year. My girlfriend said she would buy me a kit for christmas. Looks like they start from 40-100 for moderate beginner kits. Which is the best?
My buddy has a vise I really like I'll have to check the brand, but I want to tie mostly bead head nymphs like prince and hares ear, since I lose a lot in tight areas. For dry's, Adams and some various attractors. Obviously some others, but I go through them mostly. I should probably buy a book, any good ones that have a lot of info packed into one?
" The true fisherman approaches the first day of fishing season with
all the sense of wonder and awe of a child approaching Christmas." John Voelker
MartinlfOctober 28th, 2008, 7:06 am
Palmyra PA

There is already a thread on this topic:

http://www.troutnut.com/topic/705

See if it is helpful.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
UPTroutBumOctober 28th, 2008, 9:05 am
Marquette, MI

ya that helped, I guess getting a tool kit may be the way to go since for right now im selective about what I want to tie. http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/beginners/archive.php
That helped as well.

In the kits that provide materials for just one fly, about how many of them can you tie with the materials?
" The true fisherman approaches the first day of fishing season with
all the sense of wonder and awe of a child approaching Christmas." John Voelker
TaxonOctober 28th, 2008, 10:59 am
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

UPTroutBum-

When fly fishers decide to start tying their own flies, they generally begin by asking questions about kits. Many fly fishing clubs and shops offer a beginning fly tying class, and will provide both tools and materials. That way, one doesn't need to buy either tools or materials before acquiring sufficient knowledge to make informed decisions. And, perhaps more importantly, by the end of the class, one acquires some skill in the techniques necessary to use those tools and materials to effectively dress flies. In my opinion, this is a far more effective approach to take.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
MartinlfNovember 7th, 2009, 11:20 am
Palmyra PA

Bumping this thread up in response to a query.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Jmd123November 7th, 2009, 5:34 pm
Oscoda, MI

Though this is an old thread, I will put in my 2 cents worth. I took a class, now almost 20 years ago, and I would recommend that route to anyone. There is nothing better than one-on-one instruction and having someone who knows what they are doing show you how its done, right there along side you while you are doing it too. And the first fly I learned to tie? The good old Woolly Bugger...We went through a complete selection of dries, wets, nymphs, and streamers, and we even learned how to spin deer hair for bass bugs and etc. Ever since, I have not fished with a fly that I did not tie myself, which is pretty amazing considering that some of my early flies looked like CRAP. Like most things in life, practice makes perfect.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.