Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Firehole Dry Fly hooks

IasgairMarch 5th, 2019, 7:09 am
Colorado

Anyone here tie with these hooks? My concern is the wire is a light wire, and bends very easily in my vise under thread pressure. I have tied with Tiemco 100's & 101's, and they too are light, but they seem just a bit stiffer than these Firehole hooks.

Has anyone here had a fish straighten these hooks out ( assuming someone here has fished with them ) or am I being too concerned over nothing?
WbranchMarch 5th, 2019, 6:43 pm
York & Starlight PA

I've never heard of them. I typically only use Tiemco 100 for my dry flies. I've never had a fish, even big fish, open the gape of the hook. If the hook is bending in the vise just from thread tension I would venture to say the wire is either very thin or the tempering process was not done correctly.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
AfishinadoMarch 6th, 2019, 3:15 am
SE PA

Anyone here tie with these hooks? My concern is the wire is a light wire, and bends very easily in my vise under thread pressure. I have tied with Tiemco 100's & 101's, and they too are light, but they seem just a bit stiffer than these Firehole hooks.

Has anyone here had a fish straighten these hooks out ( assuming someone here has fished with them ) or am I being too concerned over nothing?

Sold at J. Stockard. Info and link below >

FIREHOLE

Firehole Outdoors, based in Bozeman, MT, designs and specs their 'sticks' with a slightly heavier gauge high strength carbon steel wire tempered to ensure flexibility and strength. Chemically sharpened, barbless, black nickel finish.

https://www.jsflyfishing.com/firehole-fly-hooks
IasgairMarch 6th, 2019, 5:21 am
Colorado

I've never heard of them. I typically only use Tiemco 100 for my dry flies. I've never had a fish, even big fish, open the gape of the hook. If the hook is bending in the vise just from thread tension I would venture to say the wire is either very thin or the tempering process was not done correctly.

The Tiemco hooks are what I have been using for years, but I have had multiple issues buying a pack of #14 for example and getting a mixture of 14 & 16, or 14 & 12 in the same package. I have had some Tiemco 100's & 101's bend from fish and snags, but just a handful I'd say. The Tiemco SPBL hooks are fabulous hooks if I may say.

The Firehole are a somewhat new brand Matt. They are getting noticed big time out here in the Western part of the country. Maybe I should just lighten up on my thread tension a bit and see how that goes. Firehole doesn't have a huge selection of hooks as of yet, but I have a feeling they will have more to offer soon enough. I must admit, it is nice getting more hooks in a package and paying the same price for 25 hooks of another brand. I just wish they would make a medium wire dry fly hook.
WbranchMarch 6th, 2019, 11:32 am
York & Starlight PA

Bill wrote;

The Tiemco hooks are what I have been using for years, but I have had multiple issues buying a pack of #14 for example and getting a mixture of 14 & 16, or 14 & 12 in the same package.

That may be the result of the seller buying huge quantities of hooks and repackaging them himself. I too have had hooks open up at the bend when I was nymphing with a lighter wire hook but I'd rather that happen then have the tippet break and then lose the fly.

There are quite a few on-line fly tying material sellers who now market a less expensive Japanese hook. The Fly Shop in Redding, CA has their own brand that sell for $2.50/23 & $9.00/100. J.S. Stockard has a shop brand that has varying prices but still less expensive than Tiemco or Daiichi. Their average price for a package of fifty is around $6.00.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
IasgairMarch 6th, 2019, 5:12 pm
Colorado

Thanks Matt. Sometimes I wonder if these store brands like J. Stockard, Allen and others are the way to go. You surely get your money's worth that way in quantity.

As for now, and for me, Partridge Patriot Series suits me fine. They have a 2X long dry fly hook that is a fine wire, but their standard dry fly hooks are excellent, as with their wet/nymph hooks too.
HendoJanuary 11th, 2020, 3:10 pm
Renton, WA

Ive used the firehole dry hooks for caddis and have caught fish with them. I just wanted some barbless hooks where I didn't have to crush barbs while tying them up.
TNEALJanuary 18th, 2020, 11:26 am
GRAYLING. MICHIGAN

hooks $7.50/100 at www.bestvalueflytying.com

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.