Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Pattern Suggestions

Kschaefer3February 29th, 2016, 11:05 am
St. Paul, MN

I am starting to plan a trip to Slough Creek for this summer. Regardless of whether it works out or not, I want to start tying flies for the trip since I will go at some point if not this summer. If you are willing to share, what are your favorite emerger, dun and spinner patterns for PMDs and green drakes?

Thanks in advance for any help!
WbranchFebruary 29th, 2016, 5:29 pm
York & Starlight PA

Kyle, Didn't I give you a bunch of PMD recipes a couple of years ago when you fished the Missouri?
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
WbranchFebruary 29th, 2016, 5:38 pm
York & Starlight PA

I really don't think those Slough Creek trout are going to be that fussy about patterns. I'd tie, or buy, some #16 Yellow Humpy's, tie an assortment of BH PT nymphs in #14 & #16, some typical emergers; #16 light wire scud hooks, tail a couple wood duck fibers over which you tie some crinkly brown z-lon, abdomen - wind PT tail fibers and counter wrap with X fine gold wire, Thorax light yellow beaver, wing light dun CDC tied in short.

Oh, I forgot, tie some #14 & #16 rusty spinners with either X-wing hackle from Gary Borger's "Designing Trout Flies", or poly wing spinners.

Here is one variation; the tail are brown turkey fibers (so the ass end will sink) the wing is natural dark dun instead of the light dun. All CDC is not created equal! Most of the packaged CDC at fly shops is just scraps and junk. You are lucky to get a few decent, not great, feathers out of a package. I buy all my CDC from one source and imo I is the best. Trouthunter in Last Chance, ID. They have two or three natural color and a few dyed colors. It comes in a small package and in large, 1/4 ounce, bag. I always buy the large bag and I thin it costs $17.50. It is really worth it as most every feather is very good. The barbules are very dense.

http://www.shop.trouthunt.com/

Kschaefer3March 1st, 2016, 9:02 am
St. Paul, MN

Yes you did, Matt! I just found the email. Thank you! I love that PMD emerger. What kind of turkey feather do you use for the tail? Sorry, I'm still a novice at this.
WbranchMarch 1st, 2016, 2:00 pm
York & Starlight PA

Kyle,

They are called secondary tail feathers. They are the shorter feathers closer to the turkey's rump. If you look close you will see a horizontal black band across each secondary. I just use a clump of the fiber tips 4-6. I like them better than the tips of pheasant tails as they have more body.

Jmd123March 1st, 2016, 5:50 pm
Oscoda, MI

Daffodils! Green grass! Aaaaah, Spring!!

Sorry, snow is coming down sideways again...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.