Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Maruto vs Tiemco Hooks

WalleyeMarch 7th, 2014, 9:10 am
180 Prospect Ave, Gloversville, NY, 12078

Does anyone know if the Maruto fly tying hooks, are made by Tiemco? The model numbers are the same, and they appear to be the same hook, but a little difference in the price.
Every trout is a trophy!
EntomanMarch 8th, 2014, 11:56 am
Northern CA & ID

I'm not familiar with that brand. There are several knock-offs produced in Asia, though. The Fly Shop in CA sells a proprietary hook that also uses the same designations at almost half the price. But, they are not the same. The bends, gaps and shank lengths are all slightly different and they aren't as consistent. A few of these off brands also have other quality control issues and weaker wire.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
WalleyeMarch 10th, 2014, 3:07 pm
180 Prospect Ave, Gloversville, NY, 12078

Thanks for the reply! I bought the hooks and in comparing them with the Tiemco Hooks they are the same in every way shape, size, design, curve, however the finish is differant. The TMC Hooks are very black, while these appear to be a nickled black. This company is using all the same Hook Model Numbers that Tiemco uses, and TMC is an asian company also. I'm thinking they are their less expensive "line", similar to Lowrance selling the Eagle Model Fish Finders, or Mercury selling the Mariner Motors. They are much less in price, but don't come packaged with the magnetic piece that keeps the hooks from spilling all around.
Every trout is a trophy!
EntomanMarch 10th, 2014, 8:03 pm
Northern CA & ID

Could be, Walleye. They sound like pretty good hooks.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.