Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Snow Sedge

The Specimen

Psychoglypha alascensis (Snow Sedge) Caddisfly AdultPsychoglypha alascensis (Snow Sedge) Caddisfly Adult View 3 PicturesThis specimen was 22 mm.
Collected September 15, 2013 from Mystery Creek #178 in Idaho
Added to Troutnut.com by on September 23, 2013

The Discussion

EntomanSeptember 23rd, 2013, 4:54 am
Northern CA & ID

There were enough of these flitting around in the evening to keep the fish looking up. Anglers can easily confuse these with Dicosmoecus species (October Caddis) at this time of year, but their wings are quite different and they like gentler flows.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
OldredbarnSeptember 23rd, 2013, 1:36 pm
Novi, MI

Really nice pics Kurt! 22mm! Sweet.

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
TaxonSeptember 23rd, 2013, 5:03 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Hi Kurt-

Given the presence of (5) Psychoglypha species in Idaho, I am both surprised and impressed that you were able to identify this one as Psychoglypha alascensis. Do you have access to Psychoglypha adult keys, which you have not chosen to share with me?
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
EntomanSeptember 23rd, 2013, 7:41 pm
Northern CA & ID

Thanks, Spence.

Hi Roger - Nah, I would never hold out on you!:) I came to this primarily through distribution records and the descriptive differences of the two common species known for the panhandle. The lack of black spots on the last seg together with the lack of a red stigma on a more severely scalloped hind wing fits nicely with local descriptions of alascensis as opposed to your specimens that are more consistent with the descriptions of the other species, subborealis. See this link: http://www.bugsunlimited.us/key/trichoptera/limnephilidae/psychoglypha_subborealis.html

As usual, I reserve the right to be completely wrong.:)
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
TaxonSeptember 23rd, 2013, 8:06 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

As usual, I reserve the right to be completely wrong.:)

Okay. Incidentally, there's a new id request on my forum for you. Thanks.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
EntomanSeptember 23rd, 2013, 9:12 pm
Northern CA & ID

Yes, I noticed. I'm on it.

BTW - I find AIOC very handy, too. You have to sort out all the nomenclature changes since its publication, but it does have Denning's species keys in it.
EntomanSeptember 24th, 2013, 4:07 am
Northern CA & ID

Spence -

A species in this genus lives in your neck of the woods. Have you ever run across it?
OldredbarnSeptember 24th, 2013, 8:29 pm
Novi, MI

Kurt,

I can't say I have...It's general appearance, in your photo, is similar to our "Autumn Mottled Sedge", Neophylax fuscus or concinnus...The size is way off with Neophylax running from 9-12mm.

It would seem that something running 22mm would be noticed. By me and the fish. :)

We do have the "Great Brown Autumn Sedge" Pycnopsyche that are listed as running up to 22mm. I can't say I've seen one of these either.

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
EntomanSeptember 24th, 2013, 9:51 pm
Northern CA & ID

It doesn't show in the picture well but this critter has a thin silver horizontal stripe running down the middle of its wing. It is very obvious in the hand and definitely its most striking character. Hence, the common name Silver Stripe Sedge (usually used for another genus) may be applied to it by some.

Sorry for not pointing out this significant character before... Is it any help?
LastchanceSeptember 25th, 2013, 6:46 am
Portage, PA

There were enough of these flitting around in the evening to keep the fish looking up. Anglers can easily confuse these with Dicosmoecus species (October Caddis) at this time of year, but their wings are quite different and they like gentler flows.

What size is that? I saw something that looked very similar this past Sunday while hiking near the Frankstown Branch of the Juniata River (Central, PA). I caught one and it appeared to be a size 16 or 18.
EntomanSeptember 25th, 2013, 9:12 pm
Northern CA & ID

Hi Bruce,

Ah! It just so happens I've been tying them today. Giving a size for these big boys is tough because it depends on the style of fly and hook you choose. They flit about so much that I prefer a fly that can move without getting too bogged down (like most palmer hackles do). I also don't like the stiff wing to go too far past the bend for hooking purposes. Complicating matters, their bodies are also much shorter than their wings. Here's my solution. They're tied on 2X long dry fly hooks in sizes 6 to 10:

Skittering October Caddis #8

OldredbarnSeptember 25th, 2013, 10:30 pm
Novi, MI

Nice Kurt! I'd love to watch you float one of these when they are about. I bet they smack it...hard!

Spence

Jmd123September 25th, 2013, 10:52 pm
Oscoda, MI

Very nice flies, Kurt. The antennae are a nice touch! I would love to see some of the naturals around here - hatches are getting thin but I am still seeing a few caddisflies (mostly Nectopsyche but some occasional small gray species as well) and even the odd mayfly or two every now and then.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
EntomanSeptember 26th, 2013, 2:32 am
Northern CA & ID

Thanks, guys.

Yeah they do slam 'em, Spence. This is the time of year when the big boys will slash away even without a hatch. They are looking up all day. Going to the St. Joe tomorrow to cast a few.
CrepuscularSeptember 26th, 2013, 9:06 am
Boiling Springs, PA

Nice tie there Kurt! Have a good day!

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.