Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Post season dryfly fishing on the Rifle - almost over...

Jmd123 has attached these 3 pictures. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (5.6X larger)
Last Friday on an elkhair caddis, this guy was up in shallow water where I later spooked up three suckers - was he following them picking up their leftovers?
Last Friday on an elkhair caddis, this guy was up in shallow water where I later spooked up three suckers - was he following them picking up their leftovers?
Another one from shallow, slack water...?  #12 Royal Wulff this time
Another one from shallow, slack water...? #12 Royal Wulff this time
This guy rose once and moved some water, knew he wasn't little
This guy rose once and moved some water, knew he wasn't little
Jmd123October 20th, 2016, 12:55 am
Oscoda, MI

Though Michigan's regular season closed on September 30th, we are lucky to have waters that stay open year-round. Such is the Rifle River below Sage Lake Road, and with a 15" minimum limit (year-round) on browns (and brookies but you never get them in the mainstem). With our nice mild October weather I have been there 4 times this month and got fish on dry flies every time, including yesterday evening. Fish have been running small this year, but I managed three 12-inchers in the last two trips, pretty good for this time of the year when things are really slowing down. The first three trips I saw an assortment of mayflies and caddisflies, and several fish were feeding each time. Tonight I saw one single caddisfly, and a moth back at my car once I was done, and barely a few random rises, but the old secret weapon Royal Wulff brought up three, two nice browns and a little rainbow, and a fourth fish that I lost. This might be my last dry fly trout fishing of the year, tomorrow it's supposed to be down in the 50's F and for the foreseeable future...I'll keep my fingers crossed for a few nicer days in November.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
WbranchOctober 20th, 2016, 6:45 am
York & Starlight PA

Great looking wild browns. Is that last one 13"? I'm not too sure how yo read those measurement nets.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Jmd123October 20th, 2016, 1:34 pm
Oscoda, MI

Funny Matt, I thought I read 12" in the net, but once I saw the picture it seems like it really is 13". OK, I'll go with that! Maybe it grew an inch in the time it took me to fumble with my camera for the pic...but yes, the Rifle River grows some very pretty brown trout, with an occasional nice rainbow in the mix.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
TimCatOctober 20th, 2016, 11:25 pm
Alanson, MI

Love those blue halos
"If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" - Bob Lawless

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.