Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > This PA Weather Sucks

LastchanceMarch 28th, 2013, 9:54 am
Portage, PA

Just wanted to be on record with that. I was going to head about 85 minutes north to fish over some BWOs, but it's snowing hard where I live and I don't feel like driving that far for no reason.
It sucks,
It sucks,
It sucks
SayfuMarch 28th, 2013, 9:56 am
You are lucky, BWO's hatch out well in the snow.
WbranchMarch 28th, 2013, 10:02 am
York & Starlight PA

I agree 100%. I haven't fished for the past two weeks. Thought about going up to Boiling Springs today to fish the NK on YB but stuck my head out the door and it's freaking cold out. I'm just sick of tying flies. Tied almost fifty Clousers over the past three days.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
CrepuscularMarch 28th, 2013, 10:10 am
Boiling Springs, PA

Just wanted to be on record with that. I was going to head about 85 minutes north to fish over some BWOs, but it's snowing hard where I live and I don't feel like driving that far for no reason.
It sucks,
It sucks,
It sucks

Oh come on, are you getting soft? It will be good today.
LastchanceMarch 28th, 2013, 7:45 pm
Portage, PA

Well, fellas, I went after all and they schooled me. I know I could have caught a bunch fishing nymphs, but I was determined to fish to dry flies. I needed the help of a good dry fly fisherman to figure it all out. It's a long, cold, sad, story so I'll spare you. I caught some fish so it was all good. I can't complain because at the same time I was fishing, my buddy was getting a stent put in one of his main heart arteries after a heart attack.
Bruce, Goose, Lastchance, Feathers5,
Fish on...
EntomanMarch 28th, 2013, 7:46 pm
Northern CA & ID

Been fishing in shirtsleeve weather to rising fish and abundant hatches for weeks now... Sorry, guys. I couldn't help myself - it's the sadistic streak in me..:)
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
LastchanceMarch 28th, 2013, 10:39 pm
Portage, PA

I'm going to ignore that post and tell you how happy I am for you. HA! HA! At least I didn't get over heated. I didn't sweat so I can wear the same clothes for the next trip and I might even wear the same underwear. Nearly every day for the past 2 weeks we've been waking to anywhere from 3 to 6 inches of snow. It's been melting because the ground is beginning to warm, but I have to clean off my car at 6 AM each day, and it's getting old. I keep forgetting that it's still March in PA and many years this is our worst month of winter.

Fish on...
TroutnutMarch 29th, 2013, 2:07 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Been fishing in shirtsleeve weather to rising fish and abundant hatches for weeks now... Sorry, guys. I couldn't help myself - it's the sadistic streak in me..:)

It's 5 degrees (Fahrenheit) here right now, and there's a loud snowplow outside pushing around the stuff that hasn't even started to melt yet.

But we did have a great northern lights show last night, so neener neener. :-P
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
EntomanMarch 29th, 2013, 6:43 pm
Northern CA & ID

Ha! Yes, there are blessings in all our locations (as long as there's trout). It's just that the 73 degree difference with mine is a tad more comfortable...:)LOL
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
LastchanceMarch 29th, 2013, 8:06 pm
Portage, PA

Wow! Jason, I guess I should count my blessings. We all have them.
KeystonerApril 2nd, 2013, 9:11 pm
Eugene, OR - formerly Eastern PA

Hmmm, seems to me that fishing in the snow is the only thing I REALLY miss about the old keystone state. But maybe that's just me.
"Out into the cool of the evening, strolls the Pretender. He knows that all his hopes and dreams, begin and end there." -JB
Jmd123April 2nd, 2013, 11:13 pm
Oscoda, MI

See my fishing report, guys. I have wet a line so now it is spring! Even though it feels like winter at the moment...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Feathers5April 3rd, 2013, 9:21 am
Hmmm, seems to me that fishing in the snow is the only thing I REALLY miss about the old keystone state. But maybe that's just me.

I complain, but I fish every month of the year even in the snow. There's a certain solitude in the winter.
Bruce
Kschaefer3April 3rd, 2013, 12:09 pm
St. Paul, MN

There's a certain solitude in the winter.
Solitude and serenity are the words that come to mind. No cars, no bugs (that make any audible noise), no birds, and the snow muffles the sound of everything. I love it. The fish...usually not as much.
FalsiflyApril 3rd, 2013, 12:47 pm
Hayward, WI.

Gaining ground to the riverbank, through the knee-deep snow, I keep a close eye on the water surface. The large heavy snowflakes appeared to be hitting the water with such force as to leave rippling dimples, but the closer I got the more the optical illusion started to reveal itself. I wasn’t struck with the reality of the situation like it was a sudden revelation; it was more of a slow building manifestation that increased with each repeating heartbeat. My ticker rate, anxiety and forward progress, peaked at the moment the reality dawned on me. They say that only fools rush in, and like a fool my hurried pace had me stumbling to my knees in an attempt to get to the water faster. The trout had the surface covered with dimples from bank to bank, as they slurped the shuck hindered adult midges from their watery bonds.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
Jmd123April 3rd, 2013, 12:54 pm
Oscoda, MI

Winter is for skiing (especially cross-country), ice fishing, eating, drinking, and sleeping. And indoor pistol shooting (if you have facilities available). At least that's what I did this winter. Though, we rarely had decent (or enough) snow for x/c skiing and I gave up on ice fishing after drilling through two feet with my hand auger...the fly rods all get a much-needed rest, especially this year with frigid windchills below zero!

Regarding bugs, as in the kind that bite, you can almost mark your calendar around here that they will be out almost exactly one month to the day after the first real warm spell (60s and 70s F). That time of year - upon us any day now - is truly glorious, a whole month with NO MOSQUITOS where you can go anywhere and not even think about them.

It's almost here guys - except for Kurt in CA, bastard already has it! Oh well, he could get an earthquake any day now...

;oD

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.