Scientific name search:

> > Spring is around the corner!

Report at a Glance

General RegionSouth Platte
Conditions & HatchesMidges, and midges

Details and Discussion

SundulaFebruary 7th, 2007, 9:08 pm
Littleton, Colorado

The last trout I caught was right before our "christmas snow storm" the month of January was bitterly cold and the snow was deep. Finally on 2/6 the temps got up into the 60's so I had to venture out. I was not the only one with the "itch" there were more anglers than I expected on the water. With the snow melt it clouded the river pretty good adding to the degree of dificulty in hooking into the still winter lying trout. I did not even get a bite at my tiny midge patterns but the goal was to get out and wade. South Platte conditions are improving though we are not out of the woods yet. It is getting close to spring. Midges were coming off pretty well for early Febuary I showed up a little late on the river and I more than likley missed the "window". This is the first year I have not laid down my rod in November and not picked it up until March, my goal was to get out and try my hand at the challenging winter conditions and Ii acheivved my goal. I did not want to loose the "feeling". I also needed to bond with my new RL Winston 9' 4wt. I purchased early December :) Spring is almost here and I can't wait to share the pictures and stories with all of you.
TrowpaFebruary 8th, 2007, 11:05 am
Eastern PA

I'm in the same boat - this is the first winter I have kept fishing - last time out (and my last fish) was in late January, with temps in the low 30's - I'm in the northeast, so we're in a deep freeze right now and I haven't been able to get the nerve up to try it when the temperatures struggle to hit the 20's :) But you're right - even if you don't catch anything (so far i've been averaging only 1 fish a trip in the winter) you get your "fix" in and keep the cabin fever at bay.

Due to my aversion to crowds, I'm actually not a big fan of spring fly fishing though - springtime brings a flood of spin fisherman into my back yard. What is in the summer, fall, and winter a peaceful getaway to "connect" with the stream becomes anything BUT relaxing.

No sir - with the arrival of the stocked trout season march 31st, I will begin fishing for stripers from the beach through May while I hide from the crowds. Mid May is usually when I return to the stream....

-Steve

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.