Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Hex hatch water temperature range?

This topic is about the Mayfly Species Hexagenia limbata

It starts like a rise of small trout. There are dimples on the surface--fingerling trout eating midges, perhaps. But these are no fish. The water breaks and out pop the yellow sails of a giant Hexagenia dun. Then another. And another. A vortex appears in a flash below the mayfly and it vanishes with a slurp so loud it echoes off the distant bank. A square tail like a shark fin breaks the surface behind the swirl as a brown trout twice the size of your net retreats back to his deeper lair. The Hex hatch is on.

This Midwestern legend plays out every year on calm, dark, humid nights in early July. Anglers who only fly fish once a year drive hundreds of miles to play their part in the drama, while the mayflies themselves make the television news by showing up on doppler radar or calling snowplows out of dormancy to remove layers of Hexagenia (or "Hex") duns from the bridges. In the cold trout rivers of Wisconsin and Michigan, huge nocturnal brown trout whose usual menu consists of smaller brown trout become, for a week or so, prime dry fly quarry.

According to the literature, these are the second largest mayflies in the United States, behind the related Litobrancha recurvata flies. However, there are credible reports of limbata exceeding 40mm in some locales that challenge this assumption. Read more...

There are 25 more specimens...

The Discussion

NEMattMay 23rd, 2014, 7:30 pm
New Hampshire

Hi,

New to the site - love it. I was wondering if there was a suggested range of water temperature at which the Hex likes to hatch.

Thanks
Matt
EntomanMay 24th, 2014, 12:45 am
Northern CA & ID

Welcome to the forum, Matt.

At one time, it was thought in angling circles that hatches of fly would occur when water temps hit a certain mark. It turns out to be a bit more complicated then that. Besides differences in watersheds and regions, it also turns out that water temps in the aggregate have more to do with larval growth/maturity and hatch cycles. I've observed the big yellow mays hatching from spring fed rivers in early June with water temps in the low 50's and hatching in lakes a month later with water temps in the high 60's.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
TNEALMay 24th, 2014, 7:48 am
GRAYLING. MICHIGAN

Three years ago I had hexes emerging around June 20 at three PM with air and water both at 55...
NEMattMay 25th, 2014, 6:39 am
New Hampshire

thanks for the comments guys.
BombilloJuly 5th, 2016, 2:50 pm
Posts: 2I have been contemplating this question for years. It definitely has something to do with the time of year and water temperatures. When our lakes hit about 65 degrees and it is around May 20th, every year, look out! Drought year and hot, it is earlier, wet and cold a little later. A correlation for sure.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.