Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Drummond Island, MI

StrmanglrMarch 4th, 2013, 12:46 pm
Anyone ever fly fish there? I'm thinking about going in late August or September. Thought I might get super lucky and land a coaster.

I'm just starting to read more about the coaster brook trout and found out how few there are in the U.S. and thought I might try my luck while I still can. I've read they spawn in the Salmon Trout R and on Drummond Isle.
Jmd123March 4th, 2013, 1:27 pm
Oscoda, MI

I have fished Drummond Island in the past by conventional methods, tried a little fly fishing there in May of 1990 and didn't catch anything on flies (I was trying for perch). Haven't heard anything about the coaster brookies there, but during my trip to Isle Royale last year I was told that they are getting pretty rare over there. They even said that the interior brookie populations in the island were in decline. Not sure why...

There is a fishery at Drummond in June and July for cisco that come up to feed on hatching Hexagenia. I talked with someone local around here last year who said he knew about it, but that when that fishery gets going the boats get so crowded together that fly fishing might not be practical - or safe!

If you do go, keep me posted - the place has a lot of childhood memories for me from the fishing trips of my youth and I am itching to get back there one of these days myself. Check out the MDNR trout stream maps, there are a couple or designated trout streams on the island. Maybe that's where those coasters spawn???

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
StrmanglrMarch 4th, 2013, 6:09 pm
Are there any rivers to wade and catch trout or clear moderate pace stuff w smallies?
Jmd123March 5th, 2013, 9:57 pm
Oscoda, MI

Not many streams on the island other than the Potagannising River which feeds out into the bay of the same name. I do know pike, suckers, and bullheads run up this stream pretty heavy in the spring, have caught 'em all in there including my first ever fly-rod pike back in 1990. The trout streams look like small creeks. Not sure what exactly you'd find in the Potagannising Flooding in the interior of the island - bass or pike? Most of the fishing there takes place in the Bay and in various coves around the island. South side is reputed to be good for smallmouth. Next time I go I'm taking my kayak and I'm busting into that flooding and checking out some of those smallie coves!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.