Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Spring isn't too far away... I hope!

Pryal74 has attached these 2 pictures. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (5.6X larger)
View Full SizeView Full Size (5.6X larger)
Pryal74March 6th, 2012, 7:08 pm
Escanaba, MI

I don't know if anyone has put their vice on hold and picked up a rod. I have been at it all winter and doing very well. The CFS on open rivers is still quite low, the temps haven't REALLY rose yet, stoneflies are hatching and the Steelhead are hitting! 40 degrees (or so it said on the weather channel) windy and mostly cloudy. All 4 fish hooked took a stonefly nymph size 10 on the dropper. Landed 2 beasts today.

-James Pryal
Into The Wild Fly Fishing
KonchuMarch 6th, 2012, 7:13 pm
Site Editor
Indiana

Nice! Congrats.
MotroutMarch 7th, 2012
Very nice! Some beautiful fish.
"I don't know what fly fishing teaches us, but I think it's something we need to know."-John Gierach
http://fishingintheozarks.blogspot.com/
GldstrmSamMarch 8th, 2012, 1:01 pm
Fairbanks, Alaska

Try to convince me that spring is on the way. February was more springlike than March. We just got about 14+ inches of snow up here, and they are still calling for -12 in the nights.

Nice fish James!

I glad you are enjoying break up down there. Except down by the power-plant my flies will be sliding across ice for at least another month.
There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus
MotroutMarch 8th, 2012, 3:32 pm
Hey, would you mind sending some of your cold weather down this way? Today is the chilliest day we've had in almost ten days, and it's 52 degrees right now. It got into the low 70s yesterday and the day before...Ridiculous. The dogwoods and redbuds have already bloomed, which we usually don't start seeing until about two, and usually three weeks from now. That's in comparison to last year, when we were still getting snow in late March. I like snow and cold weather, so I'm a little bummed out. But the fishing has been great! And it's very pretty along the streams just now, with every kind of flower imaginable starting to bloom.
"I don't know what fly fishing teaches us, but I think it's something we need to know."-John Gierach
http://fishingintheozarks.blogspot.com/
Pryal74March 12th, 2012, 5:34 pm
Escanaba, MI

We finally may be seeing the last of our snow gone in the new few weeks. The rivers have JUST started to rise. When the CFS starts to climb the fish start to trickle in. We had a hard time finding many winter lake-run brown trout but now they are starting to show up. The last few trips we landed 5 of them. Two were tiny, one was 20 pounds, one was ten and another 3.

@ Motrout... you want cold weather but the fishing is great? Are you feeling ok? Haha. I enjoy it the cold and snow if the steelhead are taking or if I'm playing outdoor hockey.
-James Pryal
Into The Wild Fly Fishing

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.