Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Sheets Red Quill

Brian314January 18th, 2021, 9:16 am
Fenton, MI.

This fly is, apparently, a favorite on the Au Sable and they are sold at Gates. I can't find a list of materials for this fly anywhere - anyone here ever tie it ??
RogueratJanuary 18th, 2021, 11:02 am
Brian-

A quick search of this and I found The Gates Au Sable Lodge site with this fly listed, it appears to be a nymph? I'm also waiting for the Michigan TN contingent to chime in here...I'd bet Tim Neal has done a couple thousand of these.

GUESSING HERE but: black biot tails, a stripped red/tan quill body/abdomen, and light dun? hackle tied on top sort of clumped style then finished with a pinkish-red thread head. It looks simple which is good since most guide flies are just that- simple and effective; I can't recall a guide fly that was not.

Speaking of guide flies, John Bueter of Cloud Nine in Baldwin (here in MI) supplied me with bunch of Iso spinners some years back that were KILLER ties, and so basic as to be a couple minute each...at most.

Anyway, thanks for bringing this to the attention of the TN mob, I'm gonna' time some in various shades before the season starts up for real in May or so.

Roguerat

"Less is more...'

Ludwig Mies Vande Rohe
RogueratJanuary 18th, 2021, 11:12 am
Second thought, I looked at the pic of this fly more thoroughly and it looks like a clumped-hackle dry- need some input here, please!
guess I had nymphs on my mind since I'm researching another MI pattern, Springs Wiggler tied for a Hex nymph...plans for this on on the L Manistee this coming season!

RR
PartsmanJanuary 18th, 2021, 12:02 pm
bancroft michigan

Looks like red quill hackle stacker, moose mane or body hair for the tail, red stripped peacock for the body and dun hackle tied in hackle stacker style. I will do more investigating. Rogue have you checked the rogue hex on nomad anglers? I tied some up, I like it a lot.
Mike.
Brian314January 20th, 2021, 1:51 pm
Fenton, MI.

Based on the picture of the fly they sell at Gates it looks like ginger quill tied up to the 3/4 mark - or, as Roguerat said, some kind of stripped redtan quill. Light dun or white hackle tied partly over the quill then clipped off underneath the fly so it rides lower. Tail looks more like biot than moose main to me. And the front is indistinct as well - almost looks like that pinkish henny dubbing.
Brian314January 23rd, 2021, 8:14 am
Fenton, MI.

Mike - I looked up how to tie a hackle stacker - you are right - that's got to be what this fly is !!! Thanks so much :-) Brian
RogueratJanuary 23rd, 2021, 8:35 am
Mike,

Just checked out the Nomad Anglers video for the Rogue Hex and it looks well worth tying and fishing, thanks for the tip!

Getting cabin fever in January, sort of a non-winter thing going in W MI this 'winter' and only 8"!? of snow on the 'season' thus far, crazy weather patterns.

Roguerat

'Less is more...'

Ludwig Mies Vande Rohe
OldredbarnMay 21st, 2022, 4:32 am
Novi, MI

Hmm…Mister Neal and that Oldredbarn quack have been real quiet here…They are just trout fellas. Put a thousand more “secret flies” in your boxes and that won’t change a thing.

Josh at Gates’ just sent out a newsletter where he mentions this fly. Probably just to stir up your curiosity. 😉😆🤫

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Jmd123May 21st, 2022, 11:36 am
Oscoda, MI

Spence pops his head up!! Any fishing to report, Mister?

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
WillyMay 27th, 2022, 10:03 am
Winnetka, IL

I believe this is the fly in question:

Moose tail. Quill body (not sure if it's a Rhode Island Red quill like the traditional pattern or a dyed peacock quill) all the way to the hook eye. Light dun hackle wrapped around mono or some synthetic and pulled over to the hook eye--not cut.

This one is probably 5-7 years old, so the pattern may have changed a bit. I would have told you there was a dubbed thorax before I went into my box and found the fly.
Check out my fishing pictures on Instagram.
WillyMay 27th, 2022, 11:56 am
Winnetka, IL

Just took at a crack at it... came out pretty okay.

WbranchMay 29th, 2022, 11:20 am
York & Starlight PA

It appears to be tied in the "hackle stacker" method. I like everything about the fly except there is no fur thorax. Typically the abdomen is created with natural or synthetic quill, or a thin fur dubbed abdomen. Then prior to winding the hackle a robust thorax area is constructed with dubbing material over which the hackle is wound.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
OldredbarnJune 7th, 2022, 7:03 pm
Novi, MI

Willy. Haven’t seen hide nor hair of you the last few years. Stayed overnight at Gates’ Sunday night. Place was packed. It’s Drake chasing time.

Hope all is well. Did see Matt only long enough to say hi. Boys running around. Won’t get a good sleep until Hex passes.

-Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
WillyJune 10th, 2022, 3:35 am
Winnetka, IL

I'll be there starting Sunday for just under two weeks. My normal June and October trips have continued, but with two kids it's harder to sneak up for the random few days when Josh has an opening. Hope to run into you soon!

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.