Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Serratella

This topic is about the Mayfly Genus Serratella

Prior to recent revisions, this genus of elegant little dark mayflies with their small dark bodies, dark slate wings, and paler legs and tails was more important to anglers. What was the East's most significant species is now known as Teloganopsis deficiens (Little Black Quill). The only remaining species reported of value to the eastern angler is Serratella serrata (Little Sooty Olive).

These changes have had an even bigger impact in the West. The significant Summer hatching tibialis has been moved back to its old genus and is again called Ephemerella tibialis (Small Western Dark Hendrickson). The next most prominent species (though of only minor importance) is now called Matriella teresa and is the only recognized species of that genus in North America. The very minor species velmae has also been moved, and is now back in Ephemerella. This leaves only a few western species in this genus, and they are of no reported significance to anglers.

There is 2 more specimen...

The Discussion

GooseOctober 4th, 2006, 5:20 am
Posts: 77Jason: I was fishing in Central PA with a buddy on Sunday and we collected 2 different BWO species from the water. A really small one, about 22 to 24, had an olive/gray body. The other, which was about a size 20, had a gray body and thorax and was matched well with natural beaver fur. I don't know the names, of course, but I saw them with my own eyes. We did well fishing an emerger/dun pattern in sizes 20 and 22. We tied some with trailing shucks of amber or dun. We used a light olive thread for the body, sparse gray beaver dubbing for the thorax, and dun snow shoe for the wing.
TroutnutOctober 4th, 2006, 8:45 am
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Yeah, BWOs certainly aren't unusual at this time of year... they provide some of the best fishing we've got left. Several species in the Baetidae family are still going strong. What's strange is finding one in that size range in the Ephemerellidae family.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.