Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Biological Name of BWO

Feathers5October 28th, 2013, 9:43 am
Posts: 287What is the name of the BWO hatching now? I have an eye problem or brain problem that doesn't allow me to match colors very well. I'm seeing it as a size 22-22 with a gray/brown or olive brown body; and gray wings.
Thanks
CrepuscularOctober 28th, 2013, 10:05 am
Boiling Springs, PA

What is the name of the BWO hatching now?

From what you are describing, I belive the name of that one is Steve
Feathers5October 28th, 2013, 10:17 am
Posts: 287Ha! Ha! Craps-a-lot. You're beginning to sound like me...very bad. Do you know the name of it?
Bruce
Feathers5October 28th, 2013, 1:00 pm
Posts: 287Seriously, when I make a goofy remark people respond. When I asked a serious question, nothing!
C'Mon guys, throw a little love my way.
LastchanceOctober 28th, 2013, 7:30 pm
Portage, PA

What is the name of the BWO hatching now? I have an eye problem or brain problem that doesn't allow me to match colors very well. I'm seeing it as a size 22-22 with a gray/brown or olive brown body; and gray wings.
Thanks

Okay the BWO hatching right now in Western, PA?
OldredbarnOctober 28th, 2013, 9:03 pm
Novi, MI

C'Mon guys, throw a little love my way.

Awww, Brucie...You know I loves ya! Screw the rest of these Troutnuts...I think Antonio & Eric still care. :)

The fly is Baetis dinkus...Right? :) Its easy now since they are all lumped together by the Boys from Purdue...Just call it tricaudatus, or maybe Acerpenna pygmaea ( once upon a time Baetis pygmaeus)...Bruce. Did you lose the copy of Ann Miller's book I gave you in April? It probably was in your waders when you took that dunk in the Little J.

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Feathers5October 29th, 2013, 9:30 am
Posts: 287Hey Spence. I still have the book and refer to it occasionally.
Feathers5October 29th, 2013, 9:33 am
Posts: 287I've seen 40 insignificant posts discussing terga's and pronutums of certain bugs and I get nothing on a mainstream fly? You people are hard, oh, so hard!
FalsiflyOctober 29th, 2013, 10:02 am
Hayward, WI.

I've seen 40 insignificant posts discussing terga's and pronutums of certain bugs and I get nothing on a mainstream fly?

Take a macro photo of the genitals.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
CrepuscularOctober 29th, 2013, 10:03 am
Boiling Springs, PA

Well Bruce, it's not hard if you give us something to go on. But without a decent photo or the actual bug, it's hard to say what it is with any kind of certainty. I would need a few more details. Did it have hindwings? # of tails? There a few genera and several species that your bug might be. And many have multiple broods a year. Color is not the best character to use. (especially since you are unable to decide on one). That being said, the most common little olive we have around here is Baetis tricaudatus. But I don't think anyone can say if thats what you are seeing. So like Spence said you could always go with that. If I were you I'd call it a #22 BWO. (or Steve)
Feathers5October 29th, 2013, 10:36 am
I've seen 40 insignificant posts discussing terga's and pronutums of certain bugs and I get nothing on a mainstream fly?

Take a macro photo of the genitals.

Don't you need a microscope/camera-type thing to do that? I don't have a camera that small. Besides, how do you get them to spread their legs?
Feathers5October 29th, 2013, 10:37 am
Well Bruce, it's not hard if you give us something to go on. But without a decent photo or the actual bug, it's hard to say what it is with any kind of certainty. I would need a few more details. Did it have hindwings? # of tails? There a few genera and several species that your bug might be. And many have multiple broods a year. Color is not the best character to use. (especially since you are unable to decide on one). That being said, the most common little olive we have around here is Baetis tricaudatus. But I don't think anyone can say if thats what you are seeing. So like Spence said you could always go with that. If I were you I'd call it a #22 BWO. (or Steve)

I'll try and get a picture on Saturday. Don't count on seeing any genitals, but your own.
FalsiflyOctober 29th, 2013, 11:43 am
Hayward, WI.

Besides, how do you get them to spread their legs?

Use force if you have to but I wouldn’t recommend that, you may find yourself facing sexual abuse charges. It would be best if you could get one to consent. Maybe offer a full centerfold in one of the fly fishing magazines as an incentive.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
Kschaefer3October 29th, 2013, 11:56 am
St. Paul, MN

Besides, how do you get them to spread their legs?

Use force if you have to but I wouldn’t recommend that, you may find yourself facing sexual abuse charges. It would be best if you could get one to consent. Maybe offer a full centerfold in one of the fly fishing magazines as an incentive.

Maybe this one doesn't want their genitals exposed in a national publication. Not all of them are fond of that idea.
OldredbarnOctober 29th, 2013, 2:11 pm
Novi, MI

You guys are a hoot! Now the whole gang's taking part in unraveling a thread! :) This is anarchy!

Spence

Bruce...Antonio would probably send you a dozen if he really thought you'd tie the damn things on. ;)

Stick to your nymphing and maybe we can keep you from ending up in a jail cell next to that guy from Penn State.
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
LastchanceOctober 29th, 2013, 6:46 pm
Portage, PA

Spence, Sorry I sent this thread into the toilet. I promise I'll never ask a another serious question.

PS. Why don't you return your calls?
GutcutterOctober 29th, 2013, 10:46 pm
Pennsylvania

Bruce...Antonio would probably send you a dozen if he really thought you'd tie the damn things on. ;)

Stick to your nymphing and maybe we can keep you from ending up in a jail cell...

Perhaps this?

TMC 200R #22
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
FalsiflyOctober 29th, 2013, 11:42 pm
Hayward, WI.

TMC 200R #22

I can't believe you guys are still using barbs.
Falsifly
EntomanOctober 30th, 2013, 12:36 am
Northern CA & ID

Ah, the annual season ending restlessness...:)
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
TaxonOctober 30th, 2013, 2:29 am
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

I promise I'll never ask a another serious question.

Really, Bruce? Never is an awfully long time
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.