Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Barbless flies

Dgt5411February 11th, 2020, 4:43 am
NC

Hi. I'm new to this forum so not sure where to post this question. It seems to me that all the fly shops would offer barbless flies, but I can't seem to find any. Does anyone out there know where to purchase barbless flies?
MartinlfFebruary 11th, 2020, 7:08 am
Palmyra PA

I googled "barbless flies for sale" and this was the first place that came up. I'm sure there are others: https://www.bigyflyco.com/items/Flies/Barbless/list.htm

The link should work now.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
WbranchFebruary 11th, 2020, 1:54 pm
York & Starlight PA

I've seen some fly shops selling barbless flies. However the majority of fly shops stock barbed flies. Most customers, myself included, always fish barbed flies, unless mandated to do otherwise by regulations on a stream I am fishing. If barbed flies are an issue for you go buy a good pair of needle nose pliers and it is a simple matter to pinch the barb down completely.

Maybe "most customers" should be written "many customers". I would bet you a dozen of my barbed flies that if you asked fifty fly fishers what type of flies would most likely be found in their fly boxes, barbed or barbless, invariably the answer will be barbed.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
PartsmanFebruary 11th, 2020, 11:05 pm
bancroft michigan

You can always pinch the barbs on your flies with your hemostats or small needle pliers, which is what I do to hooks I buy that aren't barbless.
Mike.
WbranchFebruary 12th, 2020, 9:58 am
York & Starlight PA

Mike, I never heard back from you after sending the email with the Paralep emerger pictures?
PartsmanFebruary 13th, 2020, 2:51 pm
bancroft michigan

Matt, Im sorry, I did send a message, but this old laptop or this old man is not working at 100 %. I swear I just typed in 100 and all of the sudden this thing went to my email page. The pictures were great and I have tied a bunch using your suggestions. They look pretty cool I might add!
Thanks again, Mike.
WbranchFebruary 14th, 2020, 10:58 am
York & Starlight PA

Mike,

Matt, Im sorry, I did send a message

Never received it. Glad you liked the pictures and were able to tie some of the flies. I also tie a lovely dun. #18, with stripped peacock herl body, over which I wrap XF gold wire. The wings are two dun CDC tips, thorax in Adams grey beaver, hackle is 2 - 3 turns of Hoffman #1 dun saddle.

I'll email some pictures.
PartsmanFebruary 14th, 2020, 12:57 pm
bancroft michigan

Matt, please do,im going to get some more trout hunter cdc from flyfishfood. God, now im going to add some stripped peacock herl, what color on the peacock herls Matt? These are something I have been meaning to get just want to make sure im getting colors that work!
Mike.
PartsmanFebruary 14th, 2020, 1:13 pm
bancroft michigan

AS a side note, I went fishing Tuesday up north. I fished the recon euro 10 ft. 3 wt, with troutbittens monorig. Let first say I need to invest in some good insulated understuff! It was 16 degrees when I started fishing, and on this river you just don't get out of the water anywhere. The folks who have fished the S.branch of the ausable know of what I speak! Anyways, froze my you you know what off, my feet have never been that cold! But!!! fishing with a jiggy euro streamer, which I put right in a log jam, and jigged maybe two times, then all hell broke loose! This was only a few feet away, and frozen hands, and reel+ 18 inch brown trout, and 5x tippet, now were having some fun!I cant say enough about the recon rod, its greaaat! I could not believe I actually got that fish out of the cover and landed it. I have some picks and im trying to figure that out. Went to another river later in the day and got 4 more browns just smaller. I will say, im tired of winter, my little front wheel drive equinox sucks in snow, so please some spring time weather would be nice.
Mike.
MartinlfFebruary 14th, 2020, 2:29 pm
Palmyra PA

Well done, Mike!
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
WbranchFebruary 14th, 2020, 7:11 pm
York & Starlight PA

Pictures of duns with text sent via email.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.