Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Best Streamer Rod

DschmaierNovember 25th, 2020, 10:07 pm
I am trying to decide which rod to get as a dedicated streamer stick. These are the rods I am considering:

- Sage X 7 weight 9' 6"
- Sage Igniter
- Thomas and Thomas Exocett SS 250 grain

Which do you guys think is best? I am planning to use it with various sink tips and shooting heads on rivers in Montana, Northern California, and Upstate New York.

Thanks,
David
MartinlfNovember 26th, 2020, 4:55 pm
Palmyra PA

I'm not a big streamer fisherman, but when targeting smallmouth with streamers I often go to my 9'6" rod. It seems a longer rod can give a bit more distance. As for brand, I'd leave that to others familiar with these rods. I'm not.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
WbranchNovember 27th, 2020, 4:29 am
York & Starlight PA

I doubt there is any rod built strictly to throw streamers. It pretty much depends on how big most of the streamers you will be fishing are and the size of the waters you will be fishing. I fish streamers quite a bit and have caught hundreds of 18" - 24" trout on them. For most of my streamer work I use either a 9' #7 Gatti or a 9' #6 Redington. I can throw a sink tip line 60' for a couple of hours. After that I get tired but then I'm 77 years old.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
PartsmanNovember 27th, 2020, 11:20 am
bancroft michigan

I saw your question on another website and I think you got some good answers. I personally like my 9'6" orvis recon, and the orvis bankshot line, but thats just me. I think for a line the bank shot or single hand spey line the leader might be just as important for decent casting results. But its all fun and better than sitting at home watching the boob tube.
Mike.
GraysonJanuary 14th, 2021, 12:21 am
New York, NY

Thomas and Thomas Exocett SS 250. I think it's best.
Grayson Everett
DodgeJanuary 16th, 2021, 5:25 am
Posts: 2As I said on another forum, I would look at the Burkheimer Streamer Rods... they come in a 688, 788, and 888... not only do I enjoy throwing streamers for trout with them, but they are my go-to for bass fishing... having said this, I am a big T&T fan and own many of their rods, although I do not own the one you have listed... I did speak with John Carpenter at T&T about that rod this past summer... I'm just not there with grains yet, although I've heard it's going to be more of a thing... I like throwing streamers with an 8'8" rod... and I know the Exocett SS comes in that size. Still don't own a Sage rod although I know they are good rods and have a loyal following. If you end up getting the T&T rod, I would love to hear your thoughts after fishing with it.
WbranchJanuary 16th, 2021, 10:23 am
York & Starlight PA

Grayson wrote;

Thomas and Thomas Exocett SS 250. I think it's best.

It is hard to say any particular rod is the "best". What are the criteria for the best rod? It's all quite subjective and what is best for you might be junk for someone else.
Red_green_hJanuary 16th, 2021, 12:15 pm
New Mexico

It is hard to say any particular rod is the "best". What are the criteria for the best rod? It's all quite subjective and what is best for you might be junk for someone else.

I gotta agree with this statement. My buddy says the same about Scott rods and won't buy anything but. I got my 12 yo an Echo Base 7'6" 3wt combo for his bday and I tried it out and outfished my buddy with his $1500 set up. And not because I'm God's gift to fly fishing by any stretch. But I gauruntee you my buddy wouldn't be caught dead with what I was fishing with.
Ryan Norris
"a day not catching anything is better than a day not fishing at all"
WbranchJanuary 16th, 2021, 4:01 pm
York & Starlight PA

Red_green wrote;

But I guarantee you my buddy wouldn't be caught dead with what I was fishing with.

There was a time about 25 years ago when low and middle end fly rods and reels were not of very good quality and casting with them was a challenge. But today and for the past 10 or so years low and mid level fly rods have better construction, better actions, have more eye appeal, and are just overall good fishing tools.

There are dozens of fly rods available for between $50 & $100 that will provide hours of pleasure and may be the only rod you ever buy or it mat be the stepping stone to get a more expensive fly rod.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.