Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Been a long time - 581 LL line help

Kschaefer3June 5th, 2019, 12:00 pm
St. Paul, MN

Hi All,

It's been a long time since I've posted. Hope everyone is doing well and fishing lots.

I recently bought a Sage Graphite II LL. Been trying to find a Graphite II LL for a long time, and this is the first I've seen. To that end, if anyone has any Graphite II or III LLs they wish to part with, I'd be happy to pay a fair price to take them off your hands :). And, thanks to crepuscular for selling me his 486 and starting a bad (good?) run of buying used rods.

On to the real reason for posting though. Most my 5 wts are modern, fast action graphite rods. Given this, I'm using the standard half line weight heavy lines that pair with them. Does anyone own a 581 LL? If so, would you be able to assist with line selection? I know older, slower, rods tend to be a bit more line picky, so trying to determine what to get for it.

Appreciate any help.
WbranchJune 9th, 2019, 1:32 pm
York & Starlight PA

Hi Kyle,

So you are embracing old school graphite. I have owned at least six Sage LL rods. I built five of them and still have one 9' #4 2 piece LL. I sold my custom 8' 9" #3 2 piece for $500. I also had a #4, #5, and #6 3 piece LL with blackened nickle silver reel seat hardware and exotic wood barrels that I built from blanks and ultimately sold for faster graphite rods.

I have very little sentimentality about fly rods. I've owned cane rods from Leonard, Orvis, Thomas, and Gillum and they have all been sold because they are too heavy and too fragile for the size of trout and steelhead I catch. I have kept one 7.6' #5 Carpenter rod that I use for 2 - 3 days a year on the Henrickson hatch on the Yellow Breeches in PA and I've saved, but not fished, that Sage 9' #4 LL for at least 25 years. It is still in perfect condition. I told my wife I want it to be put into the furnace when I get cremated and spread my ashes in the Delaware.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Kschaefer3June 21st, 2019, 7:09 am
St. Paul, MN

Matt,

I am! I was always fond of casting. When I splurged on my Sage One, I thought it didn't get any better. While I still like my newer, faster graphite rods a lot, I've come to enjoy casting a variety of different rods, and it's hard to beat the feel of the older ones. I find myself becoming a better caster the more different rods I cast.

You must have SOME sentimentality about rods if you haven't fished that one and want to be burned with it!

Good to hear from you. Hope you're doing well and still fishing a good amount.

Cheers,

Kyle

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.