Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Emergence

The Specimen

Brachycentrus appalachia (Apple Caddis) Caddisfly AdultBrachycentrus appalachia (Apple Caddis) Caddisfly Adult View 13 PicturesI captured this specimen in the same color as this photograph, during its egg-laying flight. The emergers are much lighter.
Collected May 13, 2007 from the West Branch of the Delaware River in New York
Added to Troutnut.com by on May 18, 2007

The Discussion

MartinlfMay 7th, 2009, 7:43 am
Palmyra PA

I happened to be in the right place at the right time for my first Apple Caddis emergence a week or so ago, and caught fish on a Tulpehocken Creek Outfitter's emerger pattern that I tied years ago, but have never used before. It's something like a CDC mayfly emerger, tied on a scud hook, with a puff of CDC at the head to float the body, which remain subsurface. I also had tied in a few long Wood Duck barbules at the throat for legs. This experience led me to wonder if a similar fly might work for selective fish when dark Grannoms emerge. All day long during the Grannom hatch, I typically fish the CDC adult pattern that I posted a while back, and do OK, but last week the fish I was fishing over would have nothing to do with an Apple Caddis CDC adult during the emergence--though they took it during egg laying on flat water in the evening. Do the Grannoms and Apple Caddis have similar emergence behavior? I realize that a number of variables may have been at play. The fish I was fising over during the Apple Caddis emergence are notoriously picky, and they were feeding in a shallow riffle. The fish I target for dark Grannoms are in a different river and they are generally less picky, and see fewer flies. Also, I haven't fished over them for dark Grannoms in the same water type, usually fishing this hatch in deeper riffles and runs--and I may not have hit a concentrated emergence yet. Finally, does anyone know a good wet fly for the Apple Caddis? I'm assuming the pupa look enough like the adults that an apple green abdomen with a tan thorax and light hen hackle would work, but I'd be happy to see a recipe for a proven pattern. And any thoughts on the general topic would be welcome.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.