Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Catskills 2015

WbranchDecember 10th, 2014, 9:37 pm
York & Starlight PA

Would there be any interest for a Troutnut member get together in the Catskills in 2015? Any time May to mid June is hard to beat. Any earlier and it can be cold and windy and downright no fun. Don't really know how many NY, NJ, PA, and MD Troutnutters there are out there though.

I of course have a drift boat and West Branch Anglers rents them for guys who might want to do a drift boat float. There is tons of wading opportunities to on all the rivers. I also have a two man kayak I'd be willing to loan out.

I know of one little cabin right on the river that rents out for 2 - 3 guys for really a great rate and there are at least two local motels where a room could be had for about $75 p/night.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
MartinlfDecember 11th, 2014, 3:47 pm
Palmyra PA

Hi Matt,

I'll try to join you again this season if things line up. It's been a few years since we actually met up and fished.

--Louis
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Kschaefer3December 11th, 2014, 5:16 pm
St. Paul, MN

I'm a midwestern Troutnutter, but would consider going. I really want to fish the Catskills, and it would be great to meet people!

Is there much for camping around there? I'm cheap, so would prefer to just camp.
StokesDecember 11th, 2014, 5:41 pm
Columbia county,NY

I'd be interested.Have never fished the Delawares.Love the Catskills.
MartinlfDecember 11th, 2014, 11:35 pm
Palmyra PA

Kyle, there are some campgrounds on the East Branch, about 15-20 minutes from Matt's cabin. I can get you the names if you are heading down, and just might join you. I fished up there last spring with some buddies who found a good campground right on the water.

--Fred Chappell
WbranchDecember 12th, 2014, 10:53 am
York & Starlight PA

Hi Kyle,

Actually there are no campgrounds on the West Branch or main stem of the Delaware that I am aware of. There is one travel trailer park on the upper East Branch called OxBow Campground. It is right on the river. I used to have a trailer there before I bought the cabin in 1996.

While I know you like to camp maybe another Troutnutter would come solo and you could partner with him on a motel room. There are three local motels on the West Branch and main stem all within ten minutes of Hancock, NY.

Capra Motel

Green Acres Motel

Smith's Colonial Motel

If you Google "Motels in Hancock, NY" you can get more data.
MartinlfDecember 12th, 2014, 4:07 pm
Palmyra PA

Yes, it was the OxBow Campground on the East Branch last spring. They have a tent area right on the water, and it is very inexpensive. The Capra is a very good place to stay if you want to consider a hotel. Very clean, nice rooms, and they give a discount if you have a New York fishing license. I think Green Acres is out of business. They weren't renting rooms last time I checked, but they may have reopened. It's pretty run down, and, surprisingly, it was more expensive than the Capra (if you get the fisherman's discount mentioned above) last time I checked. Wayne Aldridge (Google River of Life Delaware) has some rooms with river views and private access. He's a great guy and very good guide. Finally one might consider Caucci's Delaware River Club or West Branch Angler, a bit pricy for double rooms/cabins, unless you get a room in West Branch Angler's lodge. But these latter options are still more expensive than the Capra (which even has hooks to hang your waders; they cater to fishermen). --Louis

--Fred Chappell
OldredbarnDecember 12th, 2014, 6:36 pm
Novi, MI

But these latter options are still more than the Capra (which even has hooks to hang your waders; they cater to fishermen). --Louis

Louis. They cater to anglers, we should cater to them, me thinks. :)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
WbranchDecember 12th, 2014, 7:13 pm
York & Starlight PA

Besides Capra provides the least expensive shuttles in Hancock. There are two convenient stores just steps away, the Circle E Diner is about a mile away, there are two boat launch points within two miles, and my cabin is about one mile away.
WbranchDecember 20th, 2014, 10:02 pm
York & Starlight PA

I don't want to drop the ball on this so my recommendations would be any multiple day period in May. Early May is a good bet for Hendricksons and Para Leps pretty much throughout the system. The second week of May is typically Apple caddis time with some remnant Hendricksons on the upper West Branch. Also you might start seeing March Browns on the lower main stem Delaware. Third week will have March Browns pretty much all over with caddis emerging throughout the day. Cloudy/shower days will likely have some Baetis. You might start to see Sulfurs on the main and the last week of May might have early Green Drakes and other may flies.

All of the emergence dates are pretty much a resultant of water and air temperatures. I would recommend getting a copy of Paul Weamers "Guide to the Upper Delaware" as it is an excellent paperback with tons of information about the various rivers, hatches, the flies he has been successful with, GPS coordinates of where to park, and other useful data.

You can fish the entire main stem Delaware and two thirds of the West Branch Delaware with a PA license. If you want to fish the upper third of the West Branch and any part of the East Branch, Beaverkill, or Willowemoc you need a NYS non resident license. A season license costs $50 and is valid for one full year from the purchase date.
Kschaefer3January 6th, 2015, 12:35 pm
St. Paul, MN

I don't want to drop the ball on this either! If we get something planned soon, I can almost guarantee I'll make it out. My sister lives in NYC, so I could string together a good period of time fishing, as well as several days with her.

Spence - Would you be willing to show me around your stomping grounds? I'm thinking MI would be a lovely spot to stop for 1-4 days on the way back. It will help break up the drive a bit and allow me to fish an area I've never been.
WbranchJanuary 6th, 2015, 8:32 pm
York & Starlight PA

Hi Kyle,

NYC is almost a straight shot on two major highways down to NYC. It is pretty much get on Rte 17 east to the New York Thruway and you will come out near NYC. It is about 150 miles.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.