Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > The unusual weather

SofthackleMarch 11th, 2012, 4:41 pm
Site Editor
Wellsville, NY

Are you as concerned as I regarding the unusually warm weather we've been experiencing in the north east? Too warm, too early could mean a blistering hot summer.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
OldredbarnMarch 11th, 2012, 4:54 pm
Novi, MI

Mark,

A couple seasons back I was in Grayling at the end of May. The water temps were tipping in to the 70's during the day. Unsafe temps for playing fish in catch-and-release water. I can remember years when he would snow on me sometimes.

At our show this weekend I had a conversation with some guys about this very thing. One guy was saying we are just in a cycle...I wish I could buy into that.

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
WbranchMarch 11th, 2012, 7:14 pm
York & Starlight PA

Local streams around York and Dauphin county, PA are very low. Virtually July level conditions. However the water temeperatures in almost all of these streams is still in the low 40's. That is going to change this week as air temperatures, through Friday, are expected to hit the low 70's early in the week and the mid to higher 70's later in the week.

The WB of the Delaware, below the Cannonsville dam, is running at only 250 cfs. Usually at this time of the year, with a normal snow pack, the river could easily be hitting 1500 - 2000 cfs. I predict an early Hendrickson and Apple caddis emergence on the Delaware system. If these warm air temperatures, and lower than average flows continue, there will be duns in the air by April 15 with the Apple caddis overlapping by late the third week of April.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
SofthackleMarch 11th, 2012, 8:05 pm
Site Editor
Wellsville, NY

This worries me.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
GldstrmSamMarch 12th, 2012, 1:56 pm
Fairbanks, Alaska

Could some of you guys send us some warm weather. It is still below zero up here.
There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.