Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Happy Memorial Day to my fellow Troutnuts with wildflowers from my front yard

Jmd123 has attached these 6 pictures. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (5.6X larger)
Woodland anemone (Anemone quiquefolia)
Woodland anemone (Anemone quiquefolia)
Wild strawberry (Fragaria virginiana)
Wild strawberry (Fragaria virginiana)
Birdsfoot violet (Viola pedata)
Birdsfoot violet (Viola pedata)
Pussytoes (Antennaria howelli)
Pussytoes (Antennaria howelli)
The Three Violeteers!
The Three Violeteers!
Sooo soft and fuzzy...
Sooo soft and fuzzy...
Jmd123May 25th, 2020, 2:31 pm
Oscoda, MI

Well, it took it's time getting here, but our warm spring weather FINALLY arrived...along with hordes of plague-bearing tourists sadly. After hitting two favorite ponds last week, one with the kayak, and having both moderate success and no company whatsoever have not been able to convince myself to go out since. While visiting a friend in town on Friday afternoon I saw a major amount of traffic and just went awwww crap, here they come...hopefully they are mostly on their way hone and tomorrow I can have a bit more solitude.

But hey, I don't even have to leave my property to see plant diversity and wildlife! Here's a few flower shots I just took today. Need to hike the trails across the road, but there were some knuckleheads out burning them up in giant fart-machines so I had to avoid them too. Well, it's one of the worst weekends of the year for citiots, and most of them have to go home...

Anyone else been out? Seen any hatch activity? I did see some caddis and midges at [REDACTED] Pond and brookies were rising to them in the evening for about an hour or so. Insect activity has been very low in general so far this year due to our low temperatures. Well, as you can see, at least now they have some food!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
PartsmanMay 25th, 2020, 3:14 pm
bancroft michigan

Jonathon, Im going up tomorrow morning, now that Im really retired, I don't do weekends, or holidays. Going to try a different spot, as water is still to high on the river I currently like to fish. I just want to get on some water, and see some hatches or at least some rises.
Mike.
Red_green_hMay 26th, 2020, 9:07 am
New Mexico

I was gone this weekend with the kids and came back and my wife spent about $100 on flowers at a local nursery. Wish we had wild flowers like that here in NM.
Ryan Norris
"a day not catching anything is better than a day not fishing at all"
Jmd123May 26th, 2020, 10:23 am
Oscoda, MI

Ryan, ours took a loooooong time to come out after a winter that wouldn't quit. We had one entire week of lows below freezing within the month of May, complete with snow on the 10th and lows down to 21 F. I'm sure you have some beautiful natural areas there in NM with some spectacular stuff, it's all about the timing.

Today we're in the upper 80's F. Winter to summer in a few weeks. That's Pure Michigan!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
MartinlfMay 30th, 2020, 6:51 am
Palmyra PA

Thanks for sharing your photos Jonathon. I always enjoy your pics.
Pennsylvania has seen caddis, sulphurs and cahills lately, and green drakes are getting started. Fishing has been good generally, but lots and lots of cabin fevered folks are out on the streams now, and it's been a challenge to find some solitude at times. We had a shot of rain that put the streams up some, but they are dropping pretty fast. Next week should be a good one.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.