Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Things are finally waking up around here!

Report at a Glance

General RegionNortheast lower Michigan
Specific LocationPine River
Time of Day2;00 - 5:00 p.m. (approx.)
Fish Caught4 little rainbows, 2 little brookies
Conditions & HatchesBright, sunny, slight winds, upper 60s to low 70s F; water lower and clear; a smorgasbord of hatches (see below), none heavy; no visible feeding fish

Details and Discussion

Jmd123May 8th, 2013, 9:20 pm
Oscoda, MI

Well, what a difference a week makes! Last Wednesday this water was DEAD, now it is slowly coming back to life as far as trout fishing is concerned. I saw quite a variety of hatches today:

larger mayfly, size 12, likely Light Hendricksons, just a few;
smaller mayfly, size 16 or so, possible BWOs?, a few here and there;
larger caddis, size 12, grayish, very few;
smaller caddis, size 16 or so, tannish, most abundant but still not very many; and
some kind of good-sized stonefly, like a #10, gray wings and dark (black?) body, only a couple of them.

Flies tried: Adams #12; EHC tied in Early Brown Stonefly colors (dark brown body, brown hackle, greyish wings), size 12; EHC in tannish brown, size 16; Light Hendrickson, traditional pattern, size 12; and two #10 Woolly Buggers, one in mottled brown/grizzly and the other a POG (peacock, olive, and grizzly) Bugger, both with large black bead-chain eyes.

Got one or two on the Adams and the rest on the #16 caddis, no hits on the Woollies. I didn't see any fish feeding today but flies presented in the right holes and pockets drew strikes from smaller fish, six of which got themselves stuck on my hooks. No larger fish in evidence, but the hatches were probably not strong enough yet to bring out the bigger ones (why risk being eaten by an eagle or heron for a few measly little bugs? Of course, the smaller ones are dumber...). I expect them to show themselves once the hatches pick up in intensity over the next couple of weeks. It sure felt good to catch something!

I did also see one dark looking steelhead, about 20-24", cruising slowly through a deep pool in plain sight, apparently unconcerned about me...

Jonathon

P.S. Tomorrow is kayak flyfishing for brookies on [REDACTED] Pond!
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Jmd123May 8th, 2013, 11:40 pm
Oscoda, MI

Well done, Mack! Always fun to find bigger trout in smaller waters! I will update you on the pond fishing (and any hatches I see) tomorrow.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Jmd123May 9th, 2013, 12:11 am
Oscoda, MI

Thanks, Mack. This particular pond has yielded brookies up to 13" for me so far. I hit it on the opener and it was pretty dead, got just three little guys on a half-hearted caddis hatch in the evening. Hoping for some heavier hatching tomorrow, or at least some good solid strikes on my Woolly Buggers!

Jonathon
TigermidgeMay 12th, 2013, 6:05 pm
Lakewood, Ca.

growing up in Flint ALL I did was carp fish the flint river. Oh and fish lake Huron with my Grandfather.
Now I took up fly fishing 10 years ago and I read all these posts about places I used to go and do nothing much but drink and raise a little.

Oh well there is always the Pacific Ocean to fish I guess...

Mark the water flogger.
It's impossible to explain the attraction except to say that steelheading is like golf: viewed objectively , it makes no sense, but some people like it.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.