Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Spinner ID?

MartinlfApril 28th, 2007, 6:58 pm
Palmyra PA

Fishing a small freestone that Gonzo knows pretty well, this evening I found a number of Hendrickson spinners in the air, dark brown, size 12 or 14, bright yellow egg mass. But there were also some other spinners, brown on the top, cream on the bottom. I caught one that seemed to have a small whitish egg mass. It seems early, but might this have been a March Brown? It was about a size 14 or 12, and not as stocky looking as the subvarias, with a definite kink in its abdomen, making it look like it was drying up some. I know March Browns are typically much bigger on larger streams, but I believe they run to the small side on this stream. Any suggestions? I guess I'll have to get a camera!

Almost forgot to give a fishing report: Caught a handful of little wild browns up to about 9 inches, and a nice fat wild rainbow also about 9 inches. Beautiful evening.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
TroutnutApril 28th, 2007, 9:23 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Glad to hear somebody's catching fish! I've had nothing but skunkings this year, and right now the rivers aren't fishable. We haven't had decent fishing conditions here yet.

As for your mayfly, have you flipped through the Heptageniidae specimens on this site and see if anything catches your eye? I might have something similar.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
MartinlfApril 29th, 2007, 3:36 am
Palmyra PA

Nah, I was being lazy (or thinking about tying some flies) last night when I posted up the question. Actually I just couldn't think of another bug it might be. But your idea was a good one. It may have been an Epeorus pleuralis, Quill Gordon, spinner which I did not think hatched in this stream. But this creek is always surprising me. Thanks for the tip, Jason. Come down to PA, trout are rising; and things have to improve up your way with warmer weather approaching. Good luck in future outings.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
GONZOApril 29th, 2007, 7:47 am
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

Louis, I'm pretty sure they were QG spinners. That creek does have them. (Or, at least, it did when I was young.)

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.