Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Sweltsa?

The Specimen

Sweltsa (Sallflies) Stonefly AdultSweltsa (Sallflies) Stonefly Adult View 8 PicturesThese stoneflies--abundant during midday--seemed at first to be flying around with plain yellow bodies, but on closer inspection turn out to have striking, fiery red abdomens. This one keys out to albertensis, gaufini, or lambda, but the key (Baumann et al 1977) doesn't include all current species.

Collected June 30, 2019 from the Madison River in Montana
Added to Troutnut.com by on July 17, 2019

The Discussion

TaxonJuly 18th, 2019
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Hi Jason-

My guess would be genus Sweltsa, of which I believe there to be ~8 species in MT. It looks pretty similar to a (mostly) dorsal view of Sweltsa townsesi, which is pictured in American Stoneflies: A Photographic Guide to the Plecoptera by Bill B. Stark, et. al. However, I believe that species is only present in the Northern Sierra Nevada Mountains of CA and NV.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
TroutnutJuly 18th, 2019, 12:03 am
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Thanks Roger. I'll put it there for now, along with another specimen of similar but not identical coloration and a few mm greater length.

FYI, today and tomorrow I'm adding quite a few more specimens from this year's Montana trip and would definitely appreciate any ID thoughts if you have time. I'll message Dave about the caddis soon, too.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.