Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Hex Hatch 2012

This topic is about the Mayfly Genus Hexagenia

These are huge mayflies. Hexagenia limbata, by far the most important species, is the second largest mayfly in the United States. The largest is its close relative, Litobrancha recurvata, which until recently was also in the genus Hexagenia.

Two minor species, Hexagenia atrocaudata and Hexagenia rigida, may be noticed later in the season than limbata.

Read each species page for emergence and other details.

There are 28 more specimens...

The Discussion

HdhungrymanApril 15th, 2012, 8:57 pm
Southern California

Forget the end of the world. The Hex Hatch is just about on again. For more than 7 years now, I have been making the journey north and have encountered one of the most prolific hex hatches I have ever seen (in the West that is). We all know that there are very specific conditions that must exist in order for this amazing event to occur. There are a few notable locations though I have found Henderson Springs in Big Bend, CA to be the most exciting from the perspective of a flyfisherman.

I am constantly keeping an eye out for when the hatch starts in this region. I will do my best to keep my post current as I get further updates. Make it a great season!

PaulRobertsApril 15th, 2012, 9:09 pm
Colorado

Good luck, man!
EntomanApril 15th, 2012, 11:45 pm
Northern CA & ID

Welcome to the forum Hungryman.

Been there many times. Catch any big catfish? It's bizarre how the springs allow both them and trout to inhabit the same water. Caught one that tipped the scales at over 12 lb.'s and was afraid it was going to sink my float tube with one of it's spines! (I wonder if that's a record for catfish on a dry fly?) :)
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
CrepuscularApril 16th, 2012, 8:30 am
Boiling Springs, PA

Caught one that tipped the scales at over 12 lb.'s and was afraid it was going to sink my float tube with one of it's spines! (I wonder if that's a record for catfish on a dry fly?) :)

I don't know but during the Ephoron leukon hatch on the Susquehanna river it is not unusual to catch enormous channel cats! It's very challenging to get the fly directly on the nose of those cats when they are feeding on the spinners. But man do they pull! I've caught and seen friends catch them that go at least that big!
THETHUMBJune 3rd, 2012, 5:39 pm
This last week was a perfect condition for the Henderson Hex Hatch. Although I missed it, several friends were there with fantastic stories and results.
TaxonAugust 13th, 2012, 2:30 am
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Hi Anthony,

Welcome to the forum. Very nice video. Am I correct in assuming the Hexagenia nymphs collected for use as live bait for catfish?
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.