Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > season opener

Flyfisher06April 4th, 2008, 9:14 pm
argyle ny near saratoga

Well I have been waiting for this week ever since the snow got too deep for me and my English Setters to chase grouse through the woods.Well the beginning of the week looked fair but I had to work through the week its gotten disapointing though . Melt off and rain has really got these streams and rivers swelled up. I was planning to go down to the Catskills . Well I guess the Esopus is going to have to wait til next week for me to visit her. I will just spend this weekend trying to find a fishable spot in my home stream the Battenkill or if thats no good I will try one of the others like a small stream in Ganesvoort or the Kaydeross in Saratoga. At any rate Ill get my line wet somewhere. If I have any luck Ill be sure to let you guys know how things went .Please tell me of your opening adventures and good luck to all !!!! Todd
IF I am not flyfishing or bird hunting I must be doing something bad like working !!
Flyfisher06April 6th, 2008, 1:26 pm
argyle ny near saratoga

Opening weekend wasnt much with Catskill streams too high to make the trip decided to check out my Battenkill. It was also too high to wade so I went to the Black Creek in Salem for a few hours.I found a spot where I could cast from shore and caught about a dozen stockies and either lost or released long distance another dozen or so. I caught them on about 4 different bead head nymphs zugbug,pheasanttail,pumpkincaddis and olive caddis.The best part about the morning was some bait fishermen showed up and had full intention on keeping their limit. From the time they arrived til I left the 2 of them kreeled 1 trout apiece while I caught and release about a half dozen and long released a few. I made sure that they noticed each fish by lifting the rod tip real high. A pair of flyfishers with the ones 10 or 11 year old son came and started asking me about this creek so I told them what I was using and said I would gladly give up my real estate to them if they would promise to catch and release plenty more in front of my greedy bait fishing friends.I didnt catch or hook any large fish but I did enjoy plying with those little guys and watching them swim away.Todd
IF I am not flyfishing or bird hunting I must be doing something bad like working !!
RaybobApril 6th, 2008, 9:17 pm
Posts: 2I like you, have had a bit of cabin fever. Iam presently in upsate Vermont. The season opens here on the 12th. I am fairly new to flyfishing but I think I am in some good country to learn. I am recently retired and plan do a lot of fishing around the country. Any one having info about the fishing in the Southwest, Ariz. and New Mexico. I plan on being there next Winter.
FalsiflyApril 7th, 2008, 2:56 pm
Hayward, WI.

Ray,
I have fished NM’s San Juan River on the quality water below the Navaho Dam in past years as early as the last week in February thru the second week of April. Being a tail water it offers year round opportunity. If you are into midge fishing I can profess the opportunity of large fish on diminutive flies, one of the many reasons I continue to return. However any of the early season techniques will suffice. If you would like more on my personal observations and opinions feel free to PM me.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
FlybyknightApril 7th, 2008, 3:50 pm
Milton, DE

I'm heading up to the East Branch tomorrow morning. Plan on spending a week. The gauge at Harvard gives temps of 3° to 6°C or about 39° to 41°F
Looks like streamers and black and also brown stone fly nymphs. I know we are looking at skunk city, but sorry folks, I just have got to go.

Dick
Lightly on the dimpling eddy fling;
the hypocritic fly's unruffled wing.
Thomas Scott

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.