Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Wallenpaupack creek in PA private?

Mike999June 5th, 2014, 11:08 am
central new jersey

Is there any access on Wallenpaupack creek or is it all private? I fished a part of it years back. I know at one time their was a club or someone who was starting one on a large piece of property a few years back. Tell me all!

Thanks!
CatskilljonJune 5th, 2014, 8:25 pm
Upstate NY

As far as I know, its private for the most part.

Back in the late 60's someone caught a 24-pound brown in the lake. That was a PA record for years until Humphreys caught that 34 incher. I bet in the fall some of those monsters make their way up to the feeder and start the springs next generation.

I drive past there heading to the Catskills. CJ
Kschaefer3June 6th, 2014, 10:17 am
St. Paul, MN

In PA, do landowners own the stream bed?
WbranchJune 6th, 2014, 3:40 pm
York & Starlight PA

It is complicated Kyle. I'm not an expert but I think it has something to do with whether or not the stream, river, creek, whatever was ever deemed navigable. If it had that classification then the state owns the bottom. However if the body of water was never deemed navigable, even back when William Penn was doleing out his "Kings Grants", then the current deed owner owns the stream bed and can effectively keep you out of his property.

There are a couple of rivers in NYS where the deed owner has a traceable Kings Grant that goes back hundreds of years. On those rivers you can not even anchor and fish out of a drift boat. You can only cast as you drift through. If you hook up you just have to drag the fish out until you get out of the posted water.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Kschaefer3June 6th, 2014, 3:49 pm
St. Paul, MN

Thanks, Matt.

That is complicated. Oddly enough, it is not that much different than the MN or WI laws, just the interpretation of "navigable". In MN and WI everyone uses the saying, "Feet wet to fish". Regardless of ownership, if you are standing in the river, you can legally fish. Trust me when I say, there are plenty of landowners who will try to challenge that. Luckily our DNR recognized that would be the case and put in angler harassment laws.

In WI, the law even states that you can exit the stream for impassable conditions. Most people I know say that you shouldn't press your luck. "Impassable" could be very subjective, and out of staters have to pay cash or credit on the spot for breaking laws...else it's down to the county jail until funds are received!

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.