Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > round tip grizzly rooster necks

DelablobboDecember 27th, 2009, 3:09 pm
Posts: 21I tie a lot of Adams' standard dries. I know a lot of you prefer the hen necks for the wings. But I like the rooster, because of the barring. The hen wings get wet, turn black and soggy, and the fly is hard to float and difficult to see. I used to get round tipped rooster feathers from an outfit called Cascade, and distributed by Cortland. But I can't find them anymore. Anybody know where I can find good round-tipped grizzly rooster necks?
FisherOfMenFebruary 11th, 2012, 3:18 pm
NY

I have no idea where you can find what you are looking for, but a local guide I know ties his Adams with the pointy, less round tips. He also crushes the hackle to make it scraggly on the bottom, imitating legs very well. This probably doesn't help much but "just sayin' is all!"
"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught." -Author Unknown

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke
EntomanFebruary 12th, 2012, 11:29 pm
Northern CA & ID

Nick -

Poor Delabooboo's question went unanswered for more than two years. I doubt he's gonna read your post... Remember to look at the dates before you reply to topics you see in "Related Discussions." This section is really valuable for revisiting topics you want to reopen the discussion on, less so for answering somebody's questions unless they are very recent.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
FisherOfMenFebruary 13th, 2012, 8:22 am
NY

Oops! I thought it was in the Most Recent Posts, not the Related Posts. My bad. But hey, maybe the guy's reeeeally patient ;)

Thanks for pointing that out. Now I know to double check the date so I don't look silly replying to a ten year old question or something.

Nick
"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught." -Author Unknown

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke
Jmd123February 13th, 2012, 11:00 am
Oscoda, MI

So long as it got kicked back up on here, I'll add my 2 cents. I tie with a grizzly hen neck that I found who knows how many years ago, probably over 20. If you can find one nowadays - I haven't seen too many lately, but then again I have one so I'm not looking - they make very nice Adams wings. I never had any trouble floating any, as they are a double-hackled fly (I have not found my own personal Cree neck yet). Delablobbo (Australian, mate?), if you're still out there, hackle 'em a little heavier would be my advice.

Don't know why, just felt like answering this old dredged-up post on a Mondday morning...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.