Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > MIDGES: who's got a good pattern that works consistently?

Jmd123June 30th, 2020, 4:49 pm
Oscoda, MI

I've tied size 20 flies before, still have most of my box of Mustad 94840's in #20...but this is a new approach for me, guys. Like I said, I've never run into this before to anywhere near the same degree, but those fish in that pond - which was much colder than I realized until I tried wet-wading* - were absolutely going nuts over these tiny little things, although there was a LOT of them once I looked through the binocs...maybe I should make optics standard fishing gear?

Anyway, if any of you Troutnuts fish midges on a regular basis and have a good pattern, dry or wet (e.g., pupae), for me to start with, please share it, pics would be lovely if possible. I've ordered 2 books on midges by Ed Koch (1 with a 2nd author) so those will be perused for patterns and techniques. Gonna have to order some 6x and 7x tippet and maybe some #22's and #24's...

Next kayaking adventure out there I should do a collection, as I now have a really nice B&L zoom stereomicroscope and I can do entomology at home! I'll have to scoop up some plants and algae and see who's hiding in there...

A new challenge awaits! Or at least, I can't stand to see JUMPING FISH and not catch them!!!

Jonathon

*Fear of leeches meant this didn't last long! As you can see from my other post, this pond also proved deeper - at least to SOLID bottom - than it looked. Temperature felt like 65 F at the warmest...LOTS of cold spring flow coming in!
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
WiflyfisherJune 30th, 2020, 5:33 pm
Wisconsin

Jonathon, as you probably already know midges come in all different sizes and colors. I have never fished midge hatches in a pond, only our West.

For a dry fly I like very small size Griffith's Gnat. It is pretty much a standard midge patterns and it works.

For the emerging pupa I use a thread bod. My patterns are all simple fly patterns and they have worked for me in the past out West. For these really small patterns I prefer to use 2x or 3x short hooks so the hook has more bite, such as TMC #2488 or #2487.

Good luck!
John S.
https://WiFlyFisher.com
Jmd123July 1st, 2020, 4:27 am
Oscoda, MI

Thanks John! Yes, I have seen midges up to size 10! Chironomous plumosus is probably what I was seeing, skimming over a pond full of monster 'gills in Missouri. Wish those were what those pond trout were feeding on! I will take your recommendations and put them in my (now ever growing) "midge files". I was in fact thinking about the Griffith's Gnat.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
CohaNovember 5th, 2020, 11:53 am
Cazin, Bosnia

Try this pattern. video tutorial by Barry Ord Clarke

Top secret midge

MartinlfNovember 9th, 2020, 5:37 pm
Palmyra PA

Zebra midge wet. A killer.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Rtsme91November 10th, 2020, 8:00 am
Spring Branch, Texas

By far the best midge emerger pattern I have ever used is the Kimball's diptera emerger (https://www.flytierspage.com/rstanton/kimballs_diptera_emerger.htm) I have used it everywhere in the U.S. (west, east and central) and have always had very good results - it is very easy to tie and since only uses 1/2 the hook can use up to size 16 which allows you to use heavier tippet. I use 2487 hooks in size 18.

Ron
MartinlfNovember 10th, 2020, 9:28 pm
Palmyra PA

I like the looks of Kimball's emerger. Thanks for posting, Ron!
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
WbranchNovember 14th, 2020, 9:18 am
York & Starlight PA

I keep them very simple. When trout are midging size is very important. Details like wings don't mean squat. I tie them on #20 - #22 hooks. Anything smaller and I don't care.

White - A few stiff white or cream hackle barbules, white thread body, 2/3 turns of stiff cream hackle. Same for brown and dun. I also tie them with a few barbules of very stiif Hoffman grizzly tails, a gray thread body and 2/3 turns of grizzly hackle.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.