Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Colorado River Hellgrammites

This topic is about the Insect Family Corydalidae

Hellgrammites are the vicious larvae of the Dobsonflies, some of the only trout stream insects which pose a biting threat to the angler. The pincers of the adult are even more frightening that the larva's, and they're aggressive enough to use them once in a while.

This family's life cycle does not create good dry fly opportunities, but the larvae may be eaten by trout year-round. They are a secret told only by stomach samples of well-fed trout. Read more...

There are 6 more specimens...

The Discussion

CougmantxMarch 9th, 2008, 12:50 pm
Posts: 1Often times in March and April on the Colorado River north of Lake Buchanan in the Texas hill country, I will catch a bunch of Hellgrammies and fish them on a drifting line with a small split shot for channel cats. While I release most of them, often times I am stopped and asked what I caught them on. Since some of these fish will be in the 5 to 10 lb range it catches peoples eye. Their great bait for a channels, in swift water and clear rivers.

What really brings me to the area during these months is the White Bass and Stripper runs up the same river for spawn. I do alot of flyfishing for them. What brought me to this web site was trying to find a hellgrammite pattern that I might use to catch the channel cats when the bass fishing slows.

Any thoughts?
Chris_3gMarch 9th, 2008, 7:09 pm
Posts: 59I think a lot of people use woolly buggers to imitate Hellgrammites. Instead of chenille, you could try wrapping the shank with marabou and giving it a bad haircut. Just a thought.

Chris.
JoecMarch 10th, 2008, 6:53 pm
portsmouth, nh

Hellgramite patterns can be simple or rather complex....here's one that I found on a steelhead site which I frequent. The wiggle-nymph style adds great action. Good Luck!
http://www.salmoncrazy.com/vforums/showthread.php?p=136651#post136651

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.