Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > When you can't get to trout, bass will certainly do!

Jmd123 has attached these 4 pictures. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (3.8X larger)
18-incher - swallowed a bluegill hooked on a Woolly Bugger
18-incher - swallowed a bluegill hooked on a Woolly Bugger
16-incher - took a "froggy popper"
16-incher - took a "froggy popper"
Secluded woodland pond
Secluded woodland pond
Hidden treasure
Hidden treasure
Jmd123September 15th, 2010, 8:53 pm
Oscoda, MI

Sometimes, you don't have to go far from home to find an "undisclosed location" where you can have solitude, natural beauty, and big fat fish!! In addition to these two, I also caught another bass in the 12" range on the "froggy popper" and around 30 bluegill, mostly in the 5-7" range, several of which were attacked by bass of this size!!

Due to the obviously brushy nature of this location, I am forced to use a short little fly rod. Previously it was my Cabelas Clear Creek 7' 3-wt., which has been replaced by a Cabelas Three Forks 7.5' 3-wt. One might not think a three-weight appropriate for big fat bass, but the evidence indicates otherwise...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
OldredbarnSeptember 16th, 2010, 6:26 am
Novi, MI

Jon,

That first fish is nice! It looks really healthy.

Good work there mister!

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
DitchSeptember 16th, 2010, 7:31 am
Fuquay-Varina NC

has any else used a clear creek 1 wt cabelas I have one and just love it caught several bass on it just have to be careful working him in has a slower action than my 3wt and both are 7ft. cabelas is making some good all be it replaceable rods I also have their 8.5 5wt and a 9ft 5 wt as general rods i like them better than my orvis rod and don't sweat if i get in to something bigger than thy can take. picked up all 3 in the harrisburg bargain room by luck,

Phil
There are no bad fishing days.
WbranchSeptember 16th, 2010, 7:43 am
York & Starlight PA

Nice bass but am kind of curious as to why you've not removed the shrink wrap plastic shipping wrapper on the cork grip? That is there only so people won't get their grimy paws all over the cork before the rod is sold.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
OldredbarnSeptember 16th, 2010, 9:46 am
Novi, MI

Matt,

I think Jon's trying to keep it in a pristine state as he possibly can before he sells it to you to add to your other 2.5 million other rods you own...:) If he had left the price tag on it we could of called it the "Minnie Pearl" edition...the MP3...Now I'm reaching, eh!?

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Jmd123September 16th, 2010, 10:03 am
Oscoda, MI

Guys, that is now my "Lucky Bass Rod"...And I must chuckle, Matt, that you commented on the plastic wrap on the cork grip instead of the nice big fat fish...????? Hey man, it keeps the floatant, fish slime, etc. from soaking into the cork!!! Besides, one of my other Cabelas Three Forks rods had the glue that holds the cork rings together come loose and then the rings separated...These are not expensive rods; the one in the picture cost me all of $50!! And no matter what I do to it they will replace it for up to two years (have already done so a few times with my 8.5' 5-wt. - also a terrifric rod for the $$$). Let me put it this way: if I bought one of those new Sage bass rods for $395 instead, would this bass have grown a couple of inches?? I think not...

Beware, ye bucketmouths, the Basswhacker strikes again!!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Shawnny3September 16th, 2010, 1:44 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

Nice fish and pics, Jonathon. Looks like a really nice spot.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Pryal74September 20th, 2010, 7:31 am
Escanaba, MI

Nice fish, and pretty location. Jmd123, I just got my new Sage Rod, it's a Flight 7 Weight, 10 foot and it's amazing, but yes other rods will do. I used it twice since I got it a few days ago. I can easily feel every strike etc, it's the nicest rod I have ever owned or used. It also has the lifetime warranty. Already brought in some largies and smallies with it. It's so much fun taking bass on a topwater with fly rod! Good work!
-James Pryal
Into The Wild Fly Fishing
Jmd123September 24th, 2010, 8:08 pm
Oscoda, MI

James, I have used Sage rods in the past, and they are really, really sweet. They do cast beautifully. They are, however, well out of my price range! At least as a biologist who has been largely unemployed as of late...though that may be changing soon. One can never have too many fly rods, and if you can afford it, buy the best. As a budget angler, I do try to make the most of my $$$, and as a veteran angler, I'm quite surprised and pleased with some of these realy inexpensive rods I have used lately. However, I'll have to treat myself to a "high-end" rod one of these days (I am only about 15 minutes from an Orvis shop) just to see how I cast with them instead. For me, the biggest difference would probably be in casting distance for lake fishing - I like to be able to cover as much water as possible while fishing from shore or dock, where I frequently find myself, as there is a lake about 2 1/2 miles from me right here, you've seen the pond, and I have friends who live on a lake about 40 minutes from me. Big fat bass have risen for me from each!!

Tight lines and dancing bass to all,

Jonathon
Jmd123September 24th, 2010, 8:10 pm
Oscoda, MI

P.S. Got my eye on the new Orvis Clearwater 7' 4-pc. 4-wt. - perfect for the pond shown above!!! And, only $198!! After a couple of weeks of work, I can afford that!

JMD
MotroutSeptember 25th, 2010, 2:10 pm
Nice looking bass (and pond)-thanks for the report.

I've been on the local bass ponds a lot lately-they're going crazy for big (#4) hopper patterns all day, it's more fun than any guy has a right to.
"I don't know what fly fishing teaches us, but I think it's something we need to know."-John Gierach
http://fishingintheozarks.blogspot.com/

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.