Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Orvis rods

WbranchDecember 19th, 2014, 12:32 pm
York & Starlight PA

Do any of you fellows and gals own an Orvis Helios? I've been thinking of treating myself to a 9' #4 and would like opinions on action, is it a tip or mid flex rod, is the epoxy on the guide wraps first rate? how well is the overall finish of the rod compared to a Sage or T&T rod? Is the cork nice? Thanks.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
CaseyPDecember 19th, 2014, 5:08 pm
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

have the 6WT mid-flex. they come tip flex too. love the mid-flex action 'cause it's not stiff or too fast. it's light and strong and caught many fine Labrador brookies. you could take a look in person to judge the finish; can't speak to that myself not owning the other brands you mention.
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
AfishinadoDecember 20th, 2014, 8:41 am
SE PA

Do any of you fellows and gals own an Orvis Helios? I've been thinking of treating myself to a 9' #4 and would like opinions on action, is it a tip or mid flex rod, is the epoxy on the guide wraps first rate? how well is the overall finish of the rod compared to a Sage or T&T rod? Is the cork nice? Thanks.

Hey Matt,

The Orvis H2 904 is offered in both a mid-flex and tip-flex. I would suggest you cast both to find which action suits both your casting and fishing best. The rods are made by Orvis in Manchester, VT and both the finish and components on these rods are first class.
WbranchDecember 20th, 2014, 12:47 pm
York & Starlight PA

Thanks for the info. Most of my rods are built on Gatti blanks. They are as fast as I would want. As many of you know while not a dry fly exclusive fisherman I do fish dry 90% of the time and want a fast rod to be able to make one false cast, two at the most, and put the fly back on to the water.

Maybe the fly fishing show in Lancaster, PA will have an Orvis dealer and I can try casting both the tip and mid flex rods.
WbranchDecember 21st, 2014, 9:50 pm
York & Starlight PA

Just happened to go to Ebay this afternoon and was looking for a gently used Helios 9' #4. Well lucky me I happened to see a new, never fished, with full warranty Orvis Helios 2 9' #4 being auctioned with no reserve. The auction had just 52 minutes left and I made a slight nudge to the starting price and sat at the fly tying desk until 2 minutes to the end of the auction. I was the only bidder and am now the owner of this Helios 2 9' #4 tip flex rod. Delivery due between 12/23 and 12/29.

Now I want to sell a gently used Sage Flight 9' #4 4 pc and a new Gatti 8' 6" #5 3 pc I built a few years ago that has never been fished. If anyone is interested in pictures and the particulars of the Gatti PM me.
NickyfinsDecember 22nd, 2014, 6:57 pm
Posts: 2I have a brand new 10' 4wt Helios 2 that I used up in the Sierras while tubing. I got mine while I was in san diego and bought a 5wt radian at the same time. They both are awesome but I prefer the Scott Radian. https://www.theflystop.com/scott-radian-review-fly-rod Either way you should email that shop. They gave me a giftcard for a bunch of free flies when I bought it

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.