Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Not overly impressed

StokesJanuary 15th, 2014, 8:15 pm
Columbia county,NY

With my new Orvis Access rod.My Clearwater 2 and 5wts are both mid flex as well as my Three Forks 3 wt.So I got the Access in 4wt mid flex.Its a 9ft rod and is way slower than my others.I hadnt tried it yet because of surgery on my left hand.I finally got around to throw some line in the grass.Its gonna take some getting used to,I guess.Feels more like a full flex,not that I ever tried a full flex,but it is so much slower than my other mid flex rods.It is very light,I think its 2 3/8 of an oz with no reel,which is good.
SwitchCasteJanuary 16th, 2014, 6:46 pm
Washington

With my new Orvis Access rod.My Clearwater 2 and 5wts are both mid flex as well as my Three Forks 3 wt.So I got the Access in 4wt mid flex.Its a 9ft rod and is way slower than my others.I hadnt tried it yet because of surgery on my left hand.I finally got around to throw some line in the grass.Its gonna take some getting used to,I guess.Feels more like a full flex,not that I ever tried a full flex,but it is so much slower than my other mid flex rods.It is very light,I think its 2 3/8 of an oz with no reel,which is good.

Well this is exactly why I walked away from everything Orvis about three years ago. I'm much happier with my Sage rod. Not to say they're "bad" but I'm over it.
Tossing 'em farther than your father!
StokesJanuary 16th, 2014, 6:59 pm
Columbia county,NY

I dont "dislike" it,yet.I just gotta get used to it,I guess.I like my other Orvis rods just fine,this has a whole different feel.I'm wondering if they would exchange the rod only,for a tip flex.I bought it as a combo,with an Access reel.
StokesJanuary 22nd, 2014, 4:13 pm
Columbia county,NY

Just got off the phone with the Orvis store I bought this rod from.Asked if they would consider exchanging it for the same rod in the tip-flex.Not a problem,I was told.Considering I've had the rod since Oct '13,I am quite impressed.The salesman even remembered me,because I had a cast on my left arm at the time.I told him I hadnt gotten a chance to cast it till just now because of the surgery on my left hand and he said he remembered selling me the rod.I said I may not have the receipt and he said it doesnt matter.
Kschaefer3January 22nd, 2014, 4:56 pm
St. Paul, MN

Just got off the phone with the Orvis store I bought this rod from.Asked if they would consider exchanging it for the same rod in the tip-flex.Not a problem,I was told.Considering I've had the rod since Oct '13,I am quite impressed.The salesman even remembered me,because I had a cast on my left arm at the time.I told him I hadnt gotten a chance to cast it till just now because of the surgery on my left hand and he said he remembered selling me the rod.I said I may not have the receipt and he said it doesnt matter.

Thanks for the update! I love when companies have great customer service. It is so much for enjoyable to do business with them.
StokesApril 2nd, 2014, 12:32 pm
Columbia county,NY

So I got to try out the Access tip-flex.Much better,but it still feels slower than my 5wt and 3wt mid flexes.It's much lighter than my other rods,maybe that makes it seem slower?
PaulRobertsApril 2nd, 2014, 8:10 pm
Colorado

I bought a 7-1/2ft Superfine "Trout Bum" 4wt tip-flex a while back, and returned it. Beautiful rod, but not fast enough for my purpose.

I have been out of the loop, but wonder if trends have shifted back toward slower actions?

Also, my past experience has been that, for rods longer than ~8ft, you need very high quality, high modulus graphite to get a rod with adequate rigidity. "Access" sounds like an entry level rod? If you want speed and length, you are probably going to have to pay for it. At least that's the way it used to be (80s and 90s).

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.