Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Orvis Recon Rods

WbranchMarch 13th, 2017, 4:50 pm
York & Starlight PA

I was wondering if any of the forum members own any of the Orvis Recon rods that were introduced a year or so ago to replace the Hydros series? I currently have a Helios 2 9' #4 tip flex and would like sell my Beulah 9' #5 and buy another Orvis rod. I'd like to get a Helios 2 but they are just too expensive. If anyone is interested in my Beulah PM me and I will give you the particulars and provide some pictures.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
AfishinadoMarch 17th, 2017, 5:37 am
SE PA

I was wondering if any of the forum members own any of the Orvis Recon rods that were introduced a year or so ago to replace the Hydros series? I currently have a Helios 2 9' #4 tip flex and would like sell my Beulah 9' #5 and buy another Orvis rod. I'd like to get a Helios 2 but they are just too expensive. If anyone is interested in my Beulah PM me and I will give you the particulars and provide some pictures.

Hey Matt,

The Recon rods have the same taper as the H2 rod line for each weight and lengh of rod. The Recon blanks are made from a different material and the hardware is not the same. Many FFers like the way the Recons cast. I think you will be pleased. If you can't cast the rod before buying, Orvis will refund or exchange if you don't like it.

What weight and length are you looking to buy?

Just a heads up, the Hydros rods are still sold in many outlet stores. There is an Orvis outlet store close to you in Lancaster. Give them a call to see if they have what you are after.

Good luck.

WbranchMarch 17th, 2017, 8:32 am
York & Starlight PA

Afishinado wrote;

Just a heads up, the Hydros rods are still sold in many outlet stores. There is an Orvis outlet store close to you in Lancaster.

No, I was unaware of that. I want a 9' #5 4 piece that is faster than my Beulah Guide Model 9' #5 4 pc. It is a very nice rod that came with two tips and I only use it ten days a year when I go to Montana. It appears to have a nickel silver up lock reel seat (of maybe it is a plated steel reel seat) I'll likely post it up on Craigslist and PAFF.

I'll give the Lancaster store a call. Is it located out on Route 30 where all the outlets are?
AfishinadoMarch 18th, 2017, 5:12 am
SE PA

Afishinado wrote;

Just a heads up, the Hydros rods are still sold in many outlet stores. There is an Orvis outlet store close to you in Lancaster.

No, I was unaware of that. I want a 9' #5 4 piece that is faster than my Beulah Guide Model 9' #5 4 pc. It is a very nice rod that came with two tips and I only use it ten days a year when I go to Montana. It appears to have a nickel silver up lock reel seat (of maybe it is a plated steel reel seat) I'll likely post it up on Craigslist and PAFF.

I'll give the Lancaster store a call. Is it located out on Route 30 where all the outlets are?

Yeah Matt, on Rt 30 in the Rockvale outlet area. Ask for Derek the Fishing Manager. He can give you a heads up as to what he has available. Good luck.
WbranchMarch 18th, 2017, 4:13 pm
York & Starlight PA

Hey Afish,

Ask for Derek the Fishing Manager. He can give you a heads up as to what he has available. Good luck.

I called yesterday and some guy with an accent answered and asked if he could put me on hold. Well five minutes later I was still on hold when I hung up.

I'll try to get Derek on Monday.
IasgairApril 10th, 2017, 5:34 pm
Colorado

Yep, and now I'm getting the 909 for pike. I have the 9'6" 6wt. This rod has serious backbone. When I cast it, and I mean just lift the line and set it down, it wants more line and pulls more from the reel. I find it effortless to cast.

Accuracy is pretty good.

I got the rod to help in windy conditions because the last couple years the wind here has been getting stronger and more frequent, and it has the power to do it.

It is one fun rod to cast.
RanchMTApril 11th, 2017, 2:27 pm
Bozeman, MT

Hello Matt,

I am new to this forum and noticed that you have been using your Beulah Guide Model 9' #5 4 piece in Montana. Just out of curiosity, I was wondering where you do a majority of your fishing while in the state? I currently live in the Bozeman area and love fishing on all of the rivers in the area. Just curious!

Good luck finding the rod you are looking for. I am currently in the market for an Orvis rod but am still doing my research on which one will work the best for me.
WbranchApril 11th, 2017, 4:50 pm
York & Starlight PA

Hello RanchMT,

I have fished Montana every year since 1968 except 1994, 2002, and 2011. I have fished many rivers and spring creeks one of which you might be familiar with in Belgrade, the Milesnick Ranch has two lovely springs on it, Benhart's and Thompson's.

Since 1995, excepting the two years noted, I have fished the Missouri.

One of many large browns I have been fortunate to meet on the Missouri.

Regarding Orvis rods I bought a new Helios 2 9' #4 tip flex rod on an Ebay auction and I love it. It is as light as my Italian Gatti rods which are very light too but the Orvis has a 25 year warranty and the rod is finished very nicely. I can throw 50' all day long and never get tired because the rod is so light and well balanced.
RanchMTApril 12th, 2017, 10:14 am
Bozeman, MT

Wow, You sure have some great experience in the area. That's a fantastic Brown in your picture. I have not fished the Milsnick Ranch. I generally stick to the Gallatin and the Madison and make my way to the Yellowstone river too.

Thank you for your assistance with the Orvis Rods. I will definitely look into the Helios.
WbranchApril 12th, 2017, 3:36 pm
York & Starlight PA

Ranch,

Here is another very nice dry fly brown from Montana. It ate a #18 CDC caddis.

PartsmanMay 19th, 2017, 6:39 pm
bancroft michigan

Matt, I recently bought the recon 5 wt. Its seems to me to good casting in the 20 to 40 foot range. When you get it loaded it really feels good. Not so good in close, and I'm not much of a roll caster, but I have some rods that just roll cast good, for me the recon doesn't. Fun with fish on? Yea its pretty good with bass and decent size trout. I cant compare to the H2 as I have not fished one. But I just ordered the Gloomis nrx lp 5 wt. and I guess I will find out if the big money is worth it.

Mike.
WbranchMay 20th, 2017, 5:32 pm
York & Starlight PA

Partsman,

Not so good in close, and I'm not much of a roll caster

The rivers I fish are big and there is little need to roll cast. I don't nymph at all so all my casting is traditional over my head forward and back casting.

Thanks for sharing you opinion. I have a 4 pc 9' #5 Beulah Pro Guide that is likely more mid flex than the Recon. I have a 9' #5 2 pc Gatti that is easily as fast as the Helios 2 but it doesn't travel well at 2 pieces. For the interest of economy I think I'll stay with the 4 pc Beulah and my 9' #4 Helios 2 for my travel rods.
PartsmanMay 27th, 2017, 6:17 pm
bancroft michigan

For those that are interested, and really I'm interested in opions on rods and what others think of the rods they have, I think this helps some of us a more informed decision on buying a rod. Well I got my gloomis nrx 5 wt lp today, and lawn casting its cool. Wow almost now effort to cast 40 ft. IT JUST FEELS SWEET. Now I also had a 7 ft 4 wt. built for me from Cbarclay, great rod for small streams, but I wanted something for bigger water, and I think the loomis rod is it. I bought the orvis recon, decent rod but not real easy to make a gentle cast with. I will see how the loomis works out on the river I love to fish, lots of slow deeper water, some really good hatches and for the first time a great spinner fall.
Mike

David82ndMay 31st, 2017, 3:03 pm
Upstate,New York

I am also looking at the recon line , I currently have an H-2 , very pleased. Want to add to my line-up. Lol. I'm thinking of the new recon 10-3
This is a nice rod for nymphing from what I've heard , , I'm thinking lol
I'm sure a push would help

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.