Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Fly Rod

Strme007March 19th, 2009, 6:11 am
Posts: 4I just recently bought the Cabela's PT+ rod with an RLS reel and it seems real nice although I haven't had the chance to fish it yet. I got the 7'6 4wt. to get a little more feel from the fish and a little better presentation in clear spring creeks. Do you think I can get away nymphing with this and throwing smaller streamers? I do a lot of nymph fishing, but it sounds like everyone on here is fishing nymphs with 5-6 weights.
DOSMarch 19th, 2009, 10:14 am
Buffalo, NY

What type of action does the rod have? If its wispy and sloppy you might have problems with small streamers or nymphs with beads or shot. If its a faster action you should have no problems.

I do all my nymph fishing with a ultra-fast action 9ft #3 overlined with a #4 line. The fast action gives tremendous feel and sensitivity. Also, the 9ft length allows you to highstick more efficiently, keeping more line off the water. It absolutely has all the gumption to comfortably throw the heaviest nymphs and most small streamers.
Andrew Nisbet
Strme007March 19th, 2009, 10:57 am
Posts: 4Thanks so much! It is a moderate action....hopefully it works well.
LittleJMarch 19th, 2009, 12:42 pm
Hollidaysburg Pa

you'll be fine w/ the 4wt. The length will give you more fits than the line weight or action. If you indicator nymph alot I can't see how it will matter. short lining will be tough though.
jeff
SandflyMarch 22nd, 2009, 4:09 am
tioga co. pa.

You'll be fine with it , I fished nymphs for years on a soft 7'6" rod. no problems. used streamers too.
sandfly
shop owner
N.J.B.B.A. #2215
Tiadaughton T.U. 688
I didn't Escape------They gave me a day pass !
HellgramiteMarch 22nd, 2009, 10:34 am
Southern calif.

I grew up fishing the sierra mountains in northern Calif. I was about 8 yrs old and used a 5' fenwick rod with 2lb. mono.The brush was so thick anything longer was a pain.So when I got my first fly rod the shortest rod I could find was an 8'4wt Orvis.You should have seen the look on the guy's face when I asked if he had something around 6'.As time went on manufactures started to offer shorter fly rods and now own several 6'to 7'6" slow action rods in 2-3wt.I love catching a nice fish and being bent butt to tip.Plus I don't see how you would be able to see a size 24 to 18 fly 40 ft away.95% of my casts are about 10-15ft and do not need a long rod that has a fast action.I do have a 9'6wt.Scott and a 9'7wt.Scott but use them little.I have a 6'6" 2wt. Scott Fiber touch what a lot of fun.For the last 10 years I have bought a few Cabelas rods and reels and find them to be great rods and fish them allot.I guess where I'm going with this is I feel one can fish most size fly's with what ever rod you wish.It all comes down to personal preference.
WbranchMarch 22nd, 2009, 3:26 pm
York & Starlight PA

Hellgramite wrote -

"Plus I don't see how you would be able to see a size 24 to 18 fly 40 ft away."

Yes, it would be very tough to keep track of such a small fly, even in slower water, at distances of 40'. What I often do is tie a #14 - #16 Elk hair caddis to my 4X or 5X tippet and then add another section of tippet material to the bend of the fly I tied on about 18" - 24" long and tie my #20 - #24 fly to that tippet. You can easily see the larger fly and when it disappears you strike. It's easy and productive.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
HellgramiteMarch 22nd, 2009, 4:07 pm
Southern calif.

Hey Wbranch that sounds like a great Idea.When I nymph I take a tapered leader break off the tippet and tie a piece of white yarn to the end.Then I fray the yarn and use it for a strike ind.Then connect it loop to loop to the fly line.Then I tie what ever length tippet i need to the leader and slide it down to the yarn.Have you ever tried to use a strike ind.when dry fly fishing instead of another fly?The reason I use white yarn is that I was told it looks like foam to the fish.I was shown this nymph rig by a guide.When you want to dry fly fish you remove the rig and roll it up till next time.
WbranchMarch 22nd, 2009, 6:09 pm
York & Starlight PA

"Have you ever tried to use a strike ind.when dry fly fishing"

That sounds like heresy to me!! LOL. Actually I hate using any sort of indicator other than what I've described. I'm not against anyone else using them - I just don't enjoy using them and since I learned to nymph over forty years ago I've become quite adept at sensing strikes. Once in a while when I'm in my pontoon boat in MT and floating the river on a hot summer day with no rises in sight I put on an indicator and a nymph and cast ahead of the 'toon and just float along until the indicator disappers
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Aaron7_8March 27th, 2009, 4:10 pm
Helena Montana

The fishing life is always goodd in Montana.
LittleJMarch 27th, 2009, 5:39 pm
Hollidaysburg Pa

Jason, I think you need to ban montana members that like to remind us where they live:)
TroutnutApril 22nd, 2009, 2:59 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Jason, I think you need to ban montana members that like to remind us where they live:)

You know I'm in Alaska, right?
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.