Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Long-time reader, never-time poster? Start here!, Page 5

Page:1...456...19
Shawnny3November 12th, 2007, 11:08 am
Pleasant Gap, PA

Thanks for the suggestions, Louis and Lam. I'm have a slight aversion to books that tell me too much, which is why I like the topo map strategy. But I'm sure they're quite useful for people who don't have the time or desire to figure stuff out for themselves. Sadly, I'm someone who likes to figure stuff out for himself, but I just don't have the time. I can only wait for the day when fishing constitutes good parenting rather than shirking good parenting, and pray that when that day comes my sons actually have the desire to join me.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
LifeaquaticDecember 9th, 2007, 6:42 am
new england

hello-
my name is mike, I live in Massachusetts.im 25 years old and though i dabbled in 06, 2007 has truly been my 'rookie year' of fly fishing both for trout(mostly in central and northern VT, but also in the precious few trout waters of MA) and for the striped bass that seasonally inhabit the waters near my home. I found this site acouple of months ago and i am still astonished by it every time i visit. I would like to first off thank Jason for the hard work he obviously has put into the entomological archive. I would also like to thank the knowledgable forum contributors who have shared their insight and experience here.

For myself, this past season on VT rivers such as the Lamoille,the Winooski,the White and others has been a season of many quite different feelings.Feelings of joy having just caught
a hefty brown with a white wulf during a whitefly hatch, feelings of bewilderment those days in the spring when the fish were taking seemingly any nymph presented reasonably, feelings of frustration when no matter what you do you draw a blank.
Though im not sure that flyfishing can or should be reduced to a science or "figured out",
it seems that in combination with time on the water, a little knowledge can go a long way.

-mike
we seek for slumbering trout,and whispering in their ears,
give them unquiet dreams.
MartinlfDecember 9th, 2007, 2:14 pm
Palmyra PA

Welcome Mike, it's always good to hear from others out there and to share the exhiliration of, "Hey, it worked!" and the problem solving of "How can I make it work next time?"
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
The_beastDecember 9th, 2007, 3:11 pm
Wisconsin

New lurker. Got my 1st trout on a fly in 1966 with an 8 1/2 rod, level C line, and Japanesse Fly. Ernest Shwiebert happened to be watching from a bridge on the Namekagon River. Gave me a bunch of flies and a lot of advise. Been caught ever since...Steve
The_beastDecember 9th, 2007, 3:16 pm
Wisconsin

New lurker. Got my 1st trout on a fly in 1966 with an 8 1/2 rod, level C line, and Japanesse Fly. Ernest Shwiebert happened to be watching from a bridge on the Namekagon River. Gave me a bunch of flies and a lot of advise. Been caught ever since...Steve
TaxonDecember 9th, 2007, 6:40 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Steve-

That's a great story. I suspect that you're not the only one on this site who has been hooked by Ernest Schwiebert in one way or another. Some of us are in awe of his enormous contributions to flyfishing and flyfishing entomology.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
LonehunterDecember 13th, 2007, 4:53 pm
UPSTATE NY

Just surfed and found this site.
Great info, pictures and information.
Bookmarked this and will return to relax and read.
I love to fly fish and are lucky enough to live in upstate NY. Close to the Delaware and Beaver kill and many other great fly streams. Thanks for the site and all the info........also the forum is great.
Tight lines to all.
TIGHT LINES
PRACTICE CATCH AND RELEASE
JACK

ENJOY THE JOURNEY NOT THE FINISH
WbranchDecember 17th, 2007, 6:07 am
York & Starlight PA

Welcome Lonehunter,

Glad to see you have found this web site. I too only found it about six months ago and so far everyone has been great and there have been no instances of raging testosterone.

If you love to fish the Delaware, and can fish during the week, PM me and maybe we can hook up in 2008 to fish the WB or float the main stem in my Hyde.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
WbranchDecember 17th, 2007, 6:11 am
York & Starlight PA

Hi Mike,

Glad to hear you've been drawn to this awesome pursuit! This is a great site and you'll find that everyone is willing to offer advice and tips.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
FlybinderDecember 18th, 2007, 1:45 am
Oregon Coast

Hello and "WELCOME", to a fine site!! Glad you found us and hope you'll enjoy contributing as much as learning maybe, something "new"!!?!
Flybinder:
"You should'a been here, NEXT week,the fishing's great!"
ZapDecember 21st, 2007, 3:44 am
Call it albany ny

Forum,
I have had Jason's site on my fav's for sometime. I was truly impressed with his photos and the entomology offered some insights at other times when I needed some info.
I'm 15 years into flyfishing and have had a ball ever since I picked up the flyrod!
I would like to thank Jason for his efforts-and wih you all happy holidays and best wishes for the years to come.
I didn't realize the site had a forum until a few weeks ago. Well folks , happy holidays and good fishing to you all.
Afflicted and addicted ,affected and not yet rejected by th ewife! ZAp
Shawnny3December 21st, 2007, 4:24 am
Pleasant Gap, PA

Welcome Zap. I have a feeling you'll like this forum.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
TaxonDecember 21st, 2007, 9:25 am
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Welcome aboard, Zap. Nice first post. You might want to place your geographic location in your profile. This will do several things. The first is that it allows better responses, particularly when one ask questions or makes observations concerning aquatic insects. The other thing it will often result in is very specific fishing recommendations from others in the same geographic location.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
FlybinderDecember 23rd, 2007, 4:47 pm
Oregon Coast

Hello, and, WELCOME......"ZAP"!
Hope you truly enjoy these forums! Pretty fair and decent bunch of fly-flingers, here on this sight with lots of background and experience under the belt, all FREE for the asking!
(Well, SOME OF US, have PIZZA and BEER, besides fly fishing experience, "Under Our Belts", but we won't get into that part yet).
I also loved your "typo-slip" at the end of your post, where you stated "Not, yet, rejected by THE WIFE", but it got typed, "Not yet rejected by TH EWIFE"! I was HOPING that, that WASN'T just a typo and you'd somehow figured out for the rest of us............. "How to be married to an "e-Wife"!??!
Man, imagine............ "a bride that didn't really yell at you", "never argued with you" and when you wished to go fishing........... you could simply "re-boot, her, and then escape while she re-loaded"!?! She'd easily "program" into whatever mood and attitude you might desire at any, given, time and the ONLY worry you might ever have, with an "eWife", would be if she somehow became infected with the wrong program and ended up.............. "severing your hard drive", (so, to speak!?)

Yeah, it's been a "slow news day and the rivers are all blown out", how could you tell!?!
Flybinder:
TrapperDecember 23rd, 2007, 5:13 pm
North Florida

Good evening all, well it's almost Christmas & I'm at the inlaws so time will be sentsurfing alot tonight and have been lurking here for sometime so I figured it was a good time to say "Hey".
Being a native Floridian, I have spent most of my time on the saltwater flats throwing flies to Redfish, Seatrout & Baby Tarpon.

I have recently spent more time learning the tactics of freshwater hunting. I hope to learn alot from all you fisherman here.

Thank you in advance & Merry Christmas to all.
There was a young man of Herne Bay
who was making some fireworks one day:
but he dropped his cigar
in the gunpowder jar.
There was a young man of Herne Bay.
FlybinderDecember 24th, 2007, 3:13 am
Oregon Coast

WELCOME, Trapper and a very, Merry Christmas and Holiday Season to you as well!
It sounds like, you're going to be very valuable to the boards, from we "fresh water nuts", standpoint........ because where we with maybe some more experience in freshwater fly fishing, can help YOU.............. YOU can be a great source for those of us that wish to learn more about "salt fly fishing"!??!

However, it all works out, glad you're hear and I hope you enjoy the boards. Always keep in mind, that not only are "50% of us are crazy, the other 50% are merely insane" and ALL OPINIONS given, here, are strictly THAT.......... "OUR OWN opinions" and nothing concrete!!
Flybinder:
TroutturkeyDecember 25th, 2007, 8:28 am
Posts: 2hey glad I found this site,I live in the heart of the Great Smokie Mtns. and the Clinch River where our state record brown was taken at
almost 19 lbs.hope everyone has good health and tite lines in '08
Thanks,
troutturkey
FlybinderDecember 29th, 2007, 12:13 am
Oregon Coast

Happy Holidays and WELCOME, TroutTurkey!
Hope you find this site, to be as fun, as it can be informative.
You, obviously, live in some beautiful country and trout hangouts.
So, "jump right in" on any and all discussions that interest you and always remember.............. "EVERY ONE'S posts, ideas and comments are just THAT.............. "their OWN"!
Above all... HAVE FUN!
Flybinder:
FishingguruJanuary 13th, 2008, 1:08 am
Southeastern PA

I say, been lurking on this site for quite some time now with only some minor posts. I'm rather pleased with the content of topics and information, not to mention the great pictures.
In 1963, at the ripe old age of 12 I began my fishing experiences and haven't stopped yet. I enjoy the sport, particularly the fly rod but I don't consider myself a purist. Minimalist better defines how I am. Usually only take one rod and reel(no extra spools) a few small fly boxes that fit into my shirt pockets, two or three spools of tippet, a good pair of forceps with nippers attached to the handle and lastly a small bag of split shot.
I am also an avid tyer with more fur and feathers and road kill to last me a life time. Again, I prefer the natural materials to synthetics.
Thanks for this great site and I hope to be posting soon.

Lav
Lav
MartinlfJanuary 13th, 2008, 9:25 am
Palmyra PA

Welcome Lav, there is a good cadre of PA posters here and we even have gotten together a time or two to fish and swap lies. I can certainly relate to the road kill comment. I've removed jackets and pants from groundhogs (hard devils to skin), muskrat (a gem of a find) squirrels, and rabbits. Ducks and pheasants are rarely passed up, and I even found a grouse one day. Like you, I have materials to last and to pass on to someone someday.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Page:1...456...19

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.