Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Long-time reader, never-time poster? Start here!, Page 4

Page:1...345...19
UKKSeptember 17th, 2007, 10:10 am
MEATH

WATS UP SEAN,I DIDNT C ANYHING ABOUT B+C.JUST GOT BACK FROM SCHOOL.TELL ME IF U SEE ANYTHING ABOUT THE SUSPICIOS JACKASSES!!!
HELLO
UKKSeptember 17th, 2007, 10:12 am
MEATH

GO 2 PAGE 4 NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HELLO
UKKSeptember 17th, 2007, 10:18 am
MEATH

WAZZ UP FROM CIANS LITTTTTLE BROTHER
HELLO
UKKSeptember 18th, 2007, 9:18 am
MEATH

get any more info
HELLO
CianspalSeptember 19th, 2007, 1:35 pm
meath,Ireland

sup no didnt c anything about the jackasses!!!!!! o by the way got new rod goin on canal 2morrow try nd catch some perch or maybe something else
UKKSeptember 28th, 2007, 12:31 pm
MEATH

Hey sean r we goin fishin 2morrow?Got no more info for tonite but lets try tomorrow
HELLO
SeanOctober 3rd, 2007, 8:44 am
WI

Just joined accualy so I'm not a lurker. But i have used jasons photos for a long time now.

a little about me
from WI
work in a fly shop in milwaukee
just finished my first season guiding
i go to UW stevens point
working on making my own aquatic insect collection mostly for my class but for future reference as well
MartinlfOctober 3rd, 2007, 1:03 pm
Palmyra PA

Sean, welcome to the forum. We'll be glad to hear your observations on our beloved avocation.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
SpringCreekOctober 12th, 2007, 2:14 pm
Driftless Area

Hi guys,
My name is Don.I've actually had this site in my favorites for almost a year now. It has been an incredible recource to me. I thank you all.
I've flyfished for about 20 years. I live in Wisconsin and do a bit of freelance guiding and fishing in NE Iowa, where I spent my youth chasing brook trout.
I used to work for a major outdoor retailer in South Dakota but moved back home to start a family closer to my sons grandparents. My son is 2 years old and absolutely loves to go fishing with Papa. This year he caught his first trout, a wonderfully colored little brookie while fishing with his superman rod and a redworm.
I am a fly rod addict, it seems like I always can find another rod to add to the stable. My current favorite is a 4wt Edwards 7'6" 3 piece two tip that is a real joy on the small streams I most frequent.
My favorite way to fish is to fish a #14 coachman trude with a #16 Sawyer style PT dropper.
In the fall I do quite a bit of bird hunting which really completes a circle for me by allowing me to tie flies from the feathers of birds I take.
FlybinderOctober 13th, 2007, 11:20 am
Oregon Coast

What I had for LUNCH? Geesh, who has time for lunch, when the Sea Runs are coming into the coastal rivers in record numbers and taking Bordon Specials like candy? Maybe........ a few Oreo cookies, spread with Cheddar Cheeze Whiz, but that's all I'll stop for, for the next few days!
I'm "Paul" and live on the Oregon coast, near Astoria. I've been "lurking", these pages for a while, and guilt made me finally sign up and post here. "What kind, of guilt", I have no idea, but guilt nonetheless.
I've been throwing the long rod ever since "Pong" was all there was for video games on a green screen computer and "Fiberglass" was "THE NEW-SPACE AGE FLY ROD MATERIAL".(Taken from an old, Sports Afield ad.
I tie my own flies and build my own rods. Those two things, do not come from "being talented" or "showy", but was learned because I adorn too many trees and stream side bushes with my flies, to keep buying them already tied, and it's much easier to sneak a new rod into the collection if you "do it, in pieces, a little bit at a time", instead of walking in the door with a new tube.
I do a lot of freelance writing, on various topics, but don't expect it to show up,,here, with decent grammar, good spelling, or anything I enter, to make any sense. I don't get paid, to write here, so I hope to get to just relax, enjoy and share!
Flybinder:
"You should'a been here, NEXT week,the fishing's great!"
UKKOctober 16th, 2007, 1:06 pm
MEATH

hey sean,
cian here we goin fishin at a coarse fishery this weekend.Who will bring us?Might try goin for roach,rudd and perch at Corkagh Park?Talk 2 u soon,
Cian

HELLO
MartinlfOctober 17th, 2007, 1:28 pm
Palmyra PA

Flybinder, Spring Creek, good to hear from you.

--Fred Chappell
Mike_BOctober 27th, 2007, 7:51 pm
McCurtain County Oklahoma

Hi, I'm Mike from McCurtain County Oklahoma. I've been visiting Troutnut.com for a few years now trying to identify the insects in my part of the country.

I fish Oklahoma's premier Tailwater trout fishery the Lower Mountain Fork river. I live about 15 miles from the river. Believe it or not we have had an actual rainbow trout spawn in Southeast Oklahoma. This water in not rich in scuds, shrimp, or sowbugs, but we do have a great diversity of hatches. Jason's site has been a great place for me to compare my local insects to his. So thanks Jason!

Also I love fly tying and have really taken to heart the book Lloyd Gonzales has written. My waters are becoming more and more crowded (as it's only 3hrs from Dallas Tx) and the "No Kill" sections are seeing more educated trout all the time. Between Gonzo and Oliver Edwards the flies I'm fishing now, especially the nymphs, have kept me in fish and also so far I'm able to keep my nickname: "That cranky old local who seems to always be into fish". Thank you Lloyd your book has been a Godsend for me.

Peace
Mike B
GONZOOctober 28th, 2007, 6:51 am
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

My pleasure, Mike--thank you!

Best,
Gonzo
TjrudgeNovember 4th, 2007, 11:44 am
Johnstown, PA

Hello everyone. My name is Travis and I live in western PA. I have only been flyfishing for 2 years or so. I'm obsessed...really badly. The trouble is that I really have noone to ask questions to... every few hours when they pop up. I end up spending a lot of time reading. The reason I got into flyfishing is because I, for one reason or another, got this idea that I wanted to catch natural brook trout. It seemed that fly fishing seemed to most appropriate way to go about that. After several thousand dollars, a pile of rods, some marrital strain, and maybe enough trout to fill up two 5 gallon buckets, I still haven't gone out and caught a single native brook trout. I have had a blast with every trout on my line, but I still haven't found a stream around where I live that has native brook trout (that I have access to,can find, and catch). I don't need any secrets, but a hint would be great.
IrishanglerNovember 10th, 2007, 8:37 pm
Posts: 12Howdy. My name is Mike and I live in SW VA. I found this site a couple of weeks ago and have enjoyed the replies and the variety of topics. I'm nearly fifty and have been fly fishing since I was ten. I regret that I put away my rods for too long during my twenties and thirties. However, I've been back into it for the past several years and am loving it more each year. I live in a small town along the New River and spend my summers chasing its famous smallies. It's nice to tie some flies that don't require magifying glasses. I live within an hour or so of the Holston River to the south and the Jackson River to the north, two great trout rivers. In between are too many smaller streams to count. I enjoy fly fishing as much for the places it takes me as I do for a successful catch and release. Learning to tie flies a few years ago has really brought these experiences to a full circle. I'm busy now teaching my beautiful thirteen year old daughter to fly fish, as my dad did for me. Hopefully, I'll have something to contribute from time to time.
Shawnny3November 11th, 2007, 5:51 am
Pleasant Gap, PA

Welcome, guys.

I'm a bit surprised, Travis, that no one has responded to your message about brookie strategies - usually this board is pretty responsive, and I'm sure you'll like it here. I lamented to Gonzo last summer that I just don't have the time to go stream-hunting for brookies, and he suggested the following: Get out a topo map and look for streams that have steep gradients. Steep gradients mean lots of waterfalls and hence pools, and pools mean deep water that stays colder in summer and doesn't dry up as easily. If a stream has cold water and doesn't dry up in summer, it probably has brook trout in it. I haven't tested his logic yet, and there are obviously lots of other factors, but it's as good a place to start as any (and if I screwed up in my description of the strategy, Gonzo, please correct me).

Hey, Mike. I have some family down in the Roanoke/Wytheville area, and, though I've never had time when visiting them to do any fishing, I've seen some nice water down there. I lived in NC for awhile, and I did a lot of warm-water fishing while I was there. Not as great as trout fishing, but still a heck of a lot of fun. Something about the violence of a good bass strike that really gets the juices flowing.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
MartinlfNovember 11th, 2007, 12:30 pm
Palmyra PA

Travis, and Shawn, check the PA Fish and Boat Commission website. Click around until you find their wild trout page. They have listed most streams with wild trout by county. I am sure there are some streams within driving distance of Johnstown and Pleasant Gap. Charlie Meck's book PA Trout Streams and their Hatches (or something like that--check Amazon to be sure) also lists some streams with wild brookies.

--Fred Chappell
LamNovember 11th, 2007, 3:46 pm
Lancaster, PA

Check out the book by Dwight Landis (called The Trout Streams of Pennsylvania, I think) too, pretty reliable descriptions and maps along with DeLorme map reference points in case you have access to a Delorme map (available at convenience stores).

The streams are divided by state region (Northeast, etc.) and good descriptions of the streams are given. For instance, in the lower region of a stream are a mix of rainbows and browns and as you move up you hit a band of just browns then browns mixed with brookies then brookies only. He gives access points and mileage, etc. I carry it in my car at all times. I have found all his descriptions spot on so far.
TjrudgeNovember 12th, 2007, 9:55 am
Johnstown, PA

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm going to try all of them, including the topo map idea. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Page:1...345...19

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.