User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Bamboo fly rod

TonnieSeptember 7th, 2014, 9:47 pm
California

Hello.. I need some advice
Hello.. My name is Karen
I have come here for some help.. I have a bamboo fly rod..
I really don't know anything about this rod. Or how old it may be. but it looks as if it is never been used. It belong to my late husband Who passed suddenly of a rare genetic cancer. he said before he passed, that it was worth $5000 I really don't know if it is? However, I did take it to bass pro in Springfield Missouri to their fly fishing shop. Although it has no name or marking of who made it...the guy there said it is custom and he also said it was one of the nicest rods he had seen in a long time. He also suggest that I not take any less than $1000 for it. So due to bills I was left with... At the time when I took it in there I was not looking to sell it. But, expenses became more than I can deal with. So now I am looking to sell it. And I need help on knowing what to ask for it...It has four pieces including a aluminum casing...I don't know where to add a picture here but will send to anyone that could help
Can anyone help..
EntomanSeptember 8th, 2014, 12:30 am
Northern CA & ID

Hi Karen,

Go to www.codella.com...

They specialize in used bamboo rods and may be able to help.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
TonnieSeptember 8th, 2014, 1:39 am
California

Thanks. I will try them
CrepuscularSeptember 8th, 2014, 10:16 am
Boiling Springs, PA

Karen, If Len Codella is very nice and very knowledgable and most likely will have some info for you but if can't help,another place to try would behttp://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/. The problem you may face with the rod you have, is that if there are no markings on it, providence will be difficult to prove, and although it may indeed be a fine fishing rod, the price of bamboo rods is largely driven by the reputation of the maker.
TNEALSeptember 8th, 2014, 10:34 pm
GRAYLING. MICHIGAN

There is a master rod builder in Traverse City, MI by the name of Bob Summers. He might be able to help.

bobsummers@charter.net
Trout4lifeSeptember 8th, 2014, 10:37 pm
i juts noticed that the real seat has wooden threads i havn't seen that before that must be a custom made rod. One other thing i just noticed is the winding are not spread = most rods the maker are very picky about all the wingdings and guilds being = when the rod is layed together like U R photo.

TonnieSeptember 9th, 2014, 1:43 am
California

is that good or bad? because I am looking to sell it and I just don't know what to ask for it?
TonnieSeptember 9th, 2014, 2:25 am
California

thank you I will give him a try
TonnieSeptember 9th, 2014, 2:25 am
California

Thanks, I just sent pictures and email to bobsummers
Trout4lifeSeptember 9th, 2014, 3:41 am
as far a the rod structurally goes it makes no difference. but a very picky highend builder would likely not do that they would try everything to make it perfect. and a picky buyer may not like it becuase of the aesthetic view
WiflyfisherSeptember 9th, 2014, 2:38 pm
Wisconsin

If you want solid bamboo fly rod advice I would go here... http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/
John S.
https://WiFlyFisher.com
CrepuscularSeptember 9th, 2014, 4:19 pm
Boiling Springs, PA

If you want solid bamboo fly rod advice I would go here... http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/

That was my advice as well.
WbranchSeptember 11th, 2014, 6:49 am
York & Starlight PA

What is the significance, if any, of those paper sleeves on the tips and butt section? No name = no value. I doubt she'll get more than $100 for it. There are tons of Chinese knock-off rods that are very nice looking you can buy for under $300.

I'm curious about why "Tonnie" is saying her name is Karen?? Why register at Troutnut.com with what is likely going to be her first and last thread and then go to the trouble of using an alias and then telling us her name is Karen.

Kind of odd. IMO the whole thing is bogus.

Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
GusSeptember 16th, 2014, 7:17 pm
colorado

Yep kind of fishy! I've gotten emails from people on craigslist responding to my adds wanting advice about bamboo rods that look similar. They always start with how someone told them it was worth thousands of dollars.
"How do you help that son of a bitch?"

"By taking him fishing"

-A River Runs Through It

www.jsrods.com
TonnieSeptember 17th, 2014, 11:19 am
California

Someone suggest I ask one of you guys. They side someone would probable be able to guide me to someone that might know. Sorry he didn't tell me some of you are so into yourself that you are actually jerks. I don't fish so I'm not looking to still your fishing secrets. And I just pray if your wife is ever left in my shoes. She doesn't run in to people like you!
TonnieSeptember 17th, 2014, 11:27 am
California

And I do what to thank the ones that have tried to help. My comment is no toward you. Just the last two. And as far as name ... It asked to creat a user name.. I'm not afraid to tell my real name.
WbranchSeptember 21st, 2014, 12:09 pm
York & Starlight PA

Well I guess she told me!
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.