Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Eastern Vermont Bows!

VTTroutFly has attached these 2 pictures. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (2.5X larger)
View Full SizeView Full Size (2.5X larger)
VTTroutFlySeptember 7th, 2010, 12:15 pm
Eastern Vermont

After a long week of temps in the 90s and extremely low water levels in the White River and adjoining tributaries, a few days of rain and cold nights have really turned the trout back on. Found myself on a few nice rainbows later in the evening.
"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope." John Buchan
Shawnny3September 8th, 2010, 6:56 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

Good catch! And welcome to the forum.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
JohanBSeptember 8th, 2010, 7:44 pm
Nashville TN

Hey!
Looks like you've had a good day out in the water! thanks for sharing and welcome!
Paradise Fly
AdirmanSeptember 9th, 2010, 6:03 am
Monticello, NY

Very nice!! What'd you get 'em on? Looks like a dry in you picture, is that right?
TaxonSeptember 9th, 2010, 8:46 am
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

VTTroutFly-

When zooming your first photo in attempt to better see the fly you were using, I couldn't help but notice something tied to your keeper ring:

So, what the devil is that?
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
VTTroutFlySeptember 9th, 2010, 11:15 am
Eastern Vermont

I was using a dark bodied March Brown. That was what I caught the big guy in the first picture on. The other ones in that picture were caught on a #10 pheasant tail and a #14 Grey Wolff. In the second picture I got him using, again, the #14 Grey Wolff.

The first picture was out of the Second Branch of the White River. A little tributary that feeds in from the north. The second picture was pulled up out of the White River but pretty far west before the tribs feed in.

This place has some fantastic freestone streams that are just bursting with life right now. Trico's, BWO, and Caddis are buzzing all around and getting the trout to make some theatrical rises!

The keeper ring doesn't have anything attached to it. I think that's just a piece of grass that was laying on the ground. Good question though!
"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope." John Buchan
VTTroutFlySeptember 9th, 2010, 11:16 am
Eastern Vermont

Heading back out again tonight too. Just got a nice steady rain all day! Hopefully I'll have some pictures to post this time. Keep your fingers crossed for a nice brown.
OldredbarnSeptember 9th, 2010, 11:56 am
Novi, MI

VT,

Just because I'm feeling geeked today for some reason, maybe because I'll be near the Au Sable tomorrow and will be able to ease my troubled mind, I'm doing a little house cleaning here...Nit-picking..
#14 Grey Wolff
It's Wulff after Mr. Lee Wulff who gave us that series of attractor patterns...Maybe I should slow down on the caffinated teas here at work! :)

At first glance I thought that fly was an old Iron Fraudator (Quill Gordon) but really couldn't see it so clearly...I think Roger was afraid you were using bacon strips to snag your trout there or, heaven forbid!, Berkley's Power Bait...I think his heart was palpitating there for a moment or two! He's breathing easier now, no doubt!

Spence

Good luck this evening!

"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Athurart09September 13th, 2010, 6:34 pm

KeystonerJanuary 30th, 2011, 6:17 pm
Eugene, OR - formerly Eastern PA

Indeed, very nice fish! Noticed you've got an LL Bean rod in the photo. How do you like that thing?? I ask because I just noticed the rods at my local LL bean store. They seem reasonable, but just hoping for some feed back since you apparently uses one. Thanks!
"Out into the cool of the evening, strolls the Pretender. He knows that all his hopes and dreams, begin and end there." -JB

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.