Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Need help determining value of fly tying equipment please

PoproqueFebruary 27th, 2018, 4:07 am
Southern California

Hello, A friend passed away and I ended up with his fly tying tackle box (meticulously stocked and cared for), a real nice set of labeled flies that look to be from the late 70's and a box of feathers (approximately 50 individual packages) shipped from Eric Leisner in 1974. Most are unopened. Do the feathers go "bad" over time?
Also there is a variety of animal fur, moose, deer, etc. and packages of feathers not labeled. Something in there makes me sneeze!! LOL. I am not having any luck finding anything but books from Eric Leiser. Does it matter where the feathers come from i.e., vintage versus not? I am clueless and would love any advice you could give as to the value and best venue to sell this collection. Also have his Columbia fishing vest and hat. (Trying to figure out how to add a photo to this post. If I can figure it out, I will. If not, how do you attach a photo to a post? Thank you! Susan
PABrownieFebruary 27th, 2018, 6:40 am
Gallitzin PA

There really is not a collectible market for "vintage" feathers, except from some very rare strains of genetic hackles. The hackles of today are far superior in quality of those from the 70's. Feathers are used for tying and quality matters, it also matters greatly on what "feathers" you have. But all in all, I would not think they would be worth much, if anything at all. Just my two cents.
WbranchFebruary 27th, 2018, 6:48 am
York & Starlight PA

Hello Poproque,

Most fly tying materials have little intrinsic value. Many little packages of fur, feathers, and other fly tying materials can be bought for $2.00 - $4.00. He might of put moth ball crystals inside to keep bugs and moths away or the feathers are falling apart and there is dust to make you sneeze.

The only materials that have more value are high quality rooster necks and saddle feathers. These can cost any where from $40 - $70. But since you know nothing about the material you really need to find a fly tier, or fly shop, in your area who might be willing to look at the stuff for you. The vest is probably so old that it is unlikely anyone would be willing to even buy it from you. You might want to hang on to it and the hat for sentimental reasons.

Regarding how to attach a photo. You need a 3rd party photograph storage site where you can park pictures and them go to the "Forum Code Page" that you can see blue highlighted when you scroll down to the bottom of the page. It is a little tricky if you have never done it before.

Without seeing the stuff I would think you would be lucky to get $50 for the lot. You might get more satisfaction donating it to a local "Casting for Recovery" group or a similar group dealing with veterans learning how to tie flies for therapy.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
WbranchFebruary 27th, 2018, 8:03 am
York & Starlight PA

Poproque,

There is a market for flies tied by famous fly tiers like Harry Darbee, Art Flick, Walt Dettee, pretty much any fly fisher and tier of note from the 1940's to the time of their deaths. However if you don't possess the provenance to authenticate the flies in your possession were tied by Eric Leisner it is doubtful you will be able to sell them for more than a few dollars.

Look around and see if he left you any bamboo fly rods made by Leonard, Payne, Gillum, Winston, Garrison and then you will have struck the Mother Lode! An excellent condition 7' - 8' Garrison cane rod with two tips could easily sell for between $6000 - $8000.

Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.