Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > You know you are a diehard when - Tornadoes, thunder, lightning, rain, = Naaa Keep on fishing, Page 3

Jmd123June 1st, 2014, 10:18 pm
Oscoda, MI

P.S. Temperature at the center of a lightning bolt: 50,000 C (that's 80,000 F)! That's just a little too hot for me to handle.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
PaulRobertsJune 5th, 2014, 8:22 pm
Colorado

He got the damn thing running finally and they headed for shore...The ice had shifted and there was an ankle deep coating of water on top of the ice...They hydro-planed across it...When they finally made it to shore the young guy started swearing at my stepfather and he said he'd never go out on the big lake again! :)

Spence, your stories got me chuckling too. I know those people you describe. What's life for anyway??

Yeah, ice fishing could be scary: the sounds of "ice-making" was something to get used to. All by your lonesome out there and CRACK! or, on thick ice, BOOM! like thunder.

I remember the year Lake O nearly froze over. And some primates decided to take their 4WD trucks out there to explore. They drove north til they came to open water. So they turned around heading south and... came to open water! The ice had broken off and they were adrift! As I remember it they were rescued by helicopter, but had to leave their trucks behind.
Kschaefer3June 6th, 2014, 10:14 am
St. Paul, MN

Yeah, ice fishing could be scary: the sounds of "ice-making" was something to get used to. All by your lonesome out there and CRACK! or, on thick ice, BOOM! like thunder.

My first early season ice experience was the first time I heard ice making. The lake only had 5 inches of ice on it, so I was already freaked out (although now I realize it was the best ice I would ever see on a lake). Below zero, no snow and shallow ice makes some weird noises, and the best ice. Sometimes they sound like a crack or a boom, those ones scare you...it sounds like the ice is going to shatter into pieces. Then there is the weird noise the ice makes that is just eerie...the one you can't explain. It sounds like monsters below the ice groaning. It certainly was something to get used to.
MartinlfJune 6th, 2014, 5:57 pm
Palmyra PA

I've sometimes wondered if there were crazier guys than me out there. This thread provides an answer. My stories would not center so much on fishing, though, but on the days I was a whitewater paddler. I remember reaching my paddle up into a massive wave to brace, running the New River Gorge in an open canoe; and rolling a decked canoe in Corkscrew on the Chatooga (the film Deliverance was shot on this Class V river). We routinely went out on flooded rivers, and though we took the standard precautions, such as thoroughly scouting all Class IV and V, and setting up people with throw bags (sacks stuffed with a block of ethafoam and rope that could be heaved to anyone who came out of a boat in a rapid), we ran rivers that killed experienced guides at times. I'm glad to have lived through that, and into a much more cautious time in life. Now I often wade with a staff, and try to stay out of situations where a slip could send me swimming in even class III water. My experience with whitewater does, however, provide sufficient knowledge to still push the envelope a bit at times fishing heavy pocketwater.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
OldredbarnJune 10th, 2014, 10:25 am
Novi, MI

but had to leave their trucks behind.

Ouch! I bet that hurt...Lets hope they had comp coverage! :) My wife's favorite insurance statement, "There's no exclusion for stupidity!" :)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Page:123

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.