Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > My newest Bamboo rod - official test the weekend

Brookyman has attached these 13 pictures. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (3.3X larger)
View Full SizeView Full Size (4.9X larger)
View Full SizeView Full Size (4.4X larger)
View Full SizeView Full Size (4.1X larger)
BrookymanMay 15th, 2014, 10:59 pm
Banned
This micro rod is a creation of mine from many parts collected over the past year. As you guy's know my old friend passed on and in the store was a 3 piece Bamboo from the fifties that was well to say kindly KILLED. The butt section was beyond repair. So I took the top two sections as my new ultralight micro Bamboo. At the cork it is 4.5 mm tapered to 1.5 mm at the tip.

The cork I salvaged from a Berkeley Cherrywood from the 80's. The Bronze reel seat is from a broken Heddon from the late 70's. I love Bronze the color so I chose to go with that. I first put it all together and wound it in January. Just waiting all winter to try it out. Thought that would never end.

Since April 20th I have torn it apart re-planed it finer and finer. I put a rating on it sorta of based on current rods of the day. I felt that a 1wt is best as a overall class. I run a WF3WT on in because it is then extra soft and extra slow. I get a very full load in a casting range of 30-50 feet. Inside 25 feet which I made this guy for it is off the chain perfection. For most it would be to slow but I love to feel a rod loading all the way into the cork.

This way by making it from scrap parts when I am in the dense bush if I fall and break it. it is not the end of the world cause it only cost me like 20 bucks to make it. It is 6 1/2 FT and a called it my Brookie Special. So far it has caught allot of fish mostly small Steelheads in the 12 - 16 inch range cause that's all there is to fish for locally. She is just a blast use and thought I would share.

Mack.
Banned for threatening another user and then trying to circumvent a kinder "soft" ban with fake accounts
Jmd123May 16th, 2014, 12:33 am
Oscoda, MI

Pretty little rod there, Mack. I love fishing small streams too, and that rod looks perfect. What reel is that?

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
RogueratMay 16th, 2014, 6:22 pm
Ditto on the rod, it's nice!

Did you literally dismantle the blank into its component strips to plane it down? I ask this because I'm using a bamboo rod, circa 1930's (wife's grandfather's) and it's been refurbished with new wraps and guides, varnish, etc. It's still 'heavy' feeling though, and doesn't load with less than a 5 wt line- ideally I'd like to thin down the blank so it'll cast acceptably with a 3 wt. I've tried a card-scraper to shave the blank but not really successful though.

Roguerat

I Peter 5:7 'Cast your cares upon Him..'
BrookymanMay 16th, 2014, 7:00 pm
Banned
I used a small instrument makers spoke shave. I don't have a planing jig its slower and you must have good hand control and measure often. I also had to count strokes per side as I rotated the blank. But you can plane it without removing the handle and seat. I had to remove the ferrule and guides every time till I got the rod to act as needed for most of my situations. You can get the spoke shaves in the US at a company call Wood-Craft. This little Bamboo is now way lighter than my 3wt 7/6" graphite.

Here is a link to that company http://www.woodcraft.com/

Mack.
Banned for threatening another user and then trying to circumvent a kinder "soft" ban with fake accounts
BrookymanMay 16th, 2014, 7:40 pm
Banned
Hi Jonathon

What reel is that?

It is a modified reel. First off here in Canada fly fishing especially in Ontario is not as big sport like in the US. There are few shops and the ones that are around are very catered to big buck tourism. So finding a very light weight 1-3 WT reel is generally very hard to get and expensive. Starting around 150. For what I do I cant see paying that kind of money for something that may likely get broken. At a local store that is like Bass pro shop they have these little mid-arbor reels in the store as ICE fishing reels. But notice on the box it says fly reel. Because they are 18 bucks each I bought 3 of them. One for a 3wt DT, one for the WF3wt, and one for my fullsink 3wt line. So for 55 bucks I got 3 spools, 1 modified reel and spare parts.

I cut the long mounting shaft, filed a grove to mount it, taped in a 6/32 brass screw and epoxied it in place. It is as strong as it was before and maybe even better because the shaft flex is reduced.

I am adding reel pictures above so you can see. It is all graphite and really really light. I have a FW3wt with about 20 yards of backing on it.

Mack.
TaxonMay 17th, 2014, 4:44 pm
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Mack-

Your ability to transform (what most folks might consider junk) into a masterpiece like that is truly amazing. Hy hat is off to you, sir.
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
PaulRobertsMay 17th, 2014, 5:26 pm
Colorado

Mack-

Your ability to transform (what most folks might consider junk) into a masterpiece like that is truly amazing. Hy hat is off to you, sir.

Agreed. Your creativity and enthusiasm are inspiring, Mack.
BrookymanMay 17th, 2014, 9:08 pm
Banned
WOW guy's thank you so much. I took her out today but the water was crazy high and fast. But good GOD she is just beyond a dream come true. I caught 5 of the small steelheads about 10-12" range, OMG what a blast. It is actually way faster than I expected. I was afraid I made it to fine. I am going to flip the WF3 and use the back-end cause it is just a tad too much on cast over 40 feet. I bumped into the guy from the store were I got the reel and he got to see it. I was telling him at the store what I did the reel and it blew him away. He is going to do the same.

Mack.
BrookymanMay 22nd, 2014, 5:07 am
Banned
Well this weekend will be the official test. My son and I are heading for our special stretch of water. We will camp and fish all weekend YES. The final test for this rod. I designed the action for just this spot. It should allow very smooth but powerful presentations in crystal clear conditions. I can't wait to see how it does. So far it is beyond words I truly feel like the richest man alive when I cast it.

I remember the inspiration for this rod so well. I believe I was about 13 years old. In a closet at my grandparents house in south Jersey there was closet that was never opened much. It was where my grandfather keep thinks like the shotguns. One day I was looking in there when granny was sleeping. In that closet I found a copy of the Orvis catalog for the year 1969. That's when I feel in love with a Bamboo rod for ever. When I first saw the FLEA rod I dreamed of being like many that I knew rich and could afford such things. Well the rich never happened but my new little baby-boo rod fills the FLEA hole so well.

Some childhood dreams can really come true.

I have started another Bamboo from parts as well. Sadly it was a J S Sharpe Scottie feather weight from the 1960's. The upper part was broken in 3 places and the lower section was sound. This too was owned by Don McGregor my friend that passed on. He also had an upper section from another rod though heavier in thickness. Because the Scottie was a impregnated finish the top could never match. And because it was heavier and built for a 6 WT which I never fish I decided to thin it out to match a 4 WT and customize the crap out of it. Why !!!! it will be a memorial rod dedicated to Dons life and what he did for me. It will be very fish able, but a very ornate rod.

From engraved German Silver hardware, burl wood handle and seat, Gold & Silver leaf gilding in the marked area. With sterling silver winding's and 24 caret Gold guides. I have started it and plan to finish it this summer.

It will be for special occasions like opening day of trout session or trip to PA. In the end it will be similar to but much more ornate and elegant than the Orvis 150 Th anniversary rod found in the link below. Finally a nice weather a weekend with no DARN rain.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Orvis-150th-Anniversary-Bamboo-Rod-/221393209761

Mack.
MotroutMay 22nd, 2014, 10:07 am
Beautiful fly rod. I've always had a serious soft spot for split cane, even if I've realized (the hard way of course) that I'm way too hard on my own equipment to deserve to actually own one.

Hope you can break it in with a bunch of fish this weekend!
"I don't know what fly fishing teaches us, but I think it's something we need to know."-John Gierach
http://fishingintheozarks.blogspot.com/

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.